Bare bottom tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I’m thinking about keeping the 240 as a bare bottom tank since the entire inside will be coated in black. I’ve decided to go with the two sun suns. Do you guys think using all established media in the sun suns will be enough to instant cycle the tank? I’ve done this method before, but it was always a combo of media and substrate.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
should be fine,

but is really going to depend on th e bioload and how seeded the media is in the first place...

as always feed low and test often until you are sure.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
should be fine,

but is really going to depend on th e bioload and how seeded the media is in the first place...

as always feed low and test often until you are sure.
Thanks
The media will be from a heavily stocked 120 that’s been running for a few years, the fish will be two 4” green bay snooks, 1 weeksii, Delhezi and endlicheri bichir all around 8-10” , three 5” pim blochi and maybe two Rhamphochromis around 7” temporarily. There will also be the decor from the 120 minus the substrate. I will definitely be testing frequently

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I wouldn't worry too much then.

the bacteria colony will double in size daily or so, if you are taking all the media from the same stocking level, it really should be fine. But testing is really the only way to be sure. feeding less for a few days before and after the move will lower the ammonia production to be more sure.

Reactions: Wyomingite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I wouldn't worry too much then.

the bacteria colony will double in size daily or so, if you are taking all the media from the same stocking level, it really should be fine. But testing is really the only way to be sure. feeding less for a few days before and after the move will lower the ammonia production to be more sure.
I think I’m taking the majority of the BB from almost the same stocking level, bio load is going to be increased a little, an 11” Senegal will be replaced with the two 4” snooks and three 5” pims. I imagine the sens load is equal to at least the 3 pims though

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Test, test, test!!!

like I say I think you will be fine, feding less for a bit will assist with that,

testing will make you sure.

I really wouldn't be worried about it :)

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
...I imagine the sens load is equal to at least the 3 pims though
I wouldn't count on that. The pims are active fish that eat a lot. You may be surprised at the bioload.

The only bare bottom tanks I keep are smaller fry and QT tanks with sponge filters, so I really don't have any insight here.

WYite

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I’ve actually decided to order my filters now. The tank probably won’t be built until the end of the month, so the media that comes with it I’m going to put in media bags and set it in my 120 so BB will grow on it while i wait. Then when it’s time, I’ll mix in my established media as well. I’m a little OCD sometimes and this way there will be no little voices in the back of my head ?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I’ve actually decided to order my filters now. The tank probably won’t be built until the end of the month, so the media that comes with it I’m going to put in media bags and set it in my 120 so BB will grow on it while i wait. Then when it’s time, I’ll mix in my established media as well. I’m a little OCD sometimes and this way there will be no little voices in the back of my head ?
Do you mean we're not suppose to hear voices in our heads? ?

WYite

Reactions: FishAddict74
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store