beginning brackish what fish to get?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Well, like another member said, the difficulty of a brackish tank is much, much closer and similar to freshwater than it is to saltwater. There really isn't much you can learn from keeping a brackish tank that will aid you in saltwater. But MTS is always fun anyhow.

Keboss

AC Members
Mar 21, 2008
What about some shrimp? It is my understanding that both amano and red nose shrimp need brackish water to breed.

kYle223

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
how big do those shrimp get i decided that im gona get some dwarf puffers for the 10g but i still want to try a brackish "fish" maybe i culd try breeding those as puffer food along with snails in 2 5gs? or 1 10g
ive read somewhere that there is a snail that breeds like crazy in brackish and must have salt to breed
anyone have a name for said snail?

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Amanos would be about 2" as adults, a bit big for dwarf puffers. Also, the breeding is rather difficult because the adults live in freshwater, but the shrimplets need fluctuating amounts of salt to survive. I read a good article from a guy that successfully bred amanos by transferring the female to brackish just before she let the shrimplets loose and then put her back in freshwater. Then he would adjust the salinity pretty much daily. I can't remember where I found it, but I think I just googled breeding amano shrimp.

Nerites can also breed in brackish. In fact, many need brackish to breed. However, I believe they might be tricky also, but I haven't looked into it.

If you want to breed shrimp and snails for the dwarfs to eat, I would stick with cherry shrimp and pond snails or ramshorn snails (all freshwater) since they are easier to breed and don't get too big for the dwarfs to handle.

kYle223

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
well ile first look into the brackish snails but if they turn out to be complicated i know the way to go
and thos amanos are way to much trouble to use as food

i dont think ile be using a small tank when i go brackish cuz guess what

I FOUND A 55G JUST SITTING IN MY LOFT:jaw-dropping:

FREE 55G YAAAY

but it wil be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng time before i set up another tank that size

but still FREE 55G w/stand:woot:

kYle223

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
1 prob though
the tank seems to be encrusted with some sort of dry paint

i cant think of a way to clean it that isnt a no no
and if i want to set it up having dryed paint in the tank is a big nono

any ideas?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com