Behavior of DAY fish at night...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
So then I am safe to assume a fishes "Sleeping" pattern is not like ours, where they "zonk" out when the lights are off and "wake up" when the lights are back on? Do they sleep in small shifts? Some of you say your fish lay in a plant vertically...do they stay like this all 8 hours or just for a few minutes? Or do they just constantly swim around.

Pinball: do you think having 1 Blue and 1 green LED is too much nightlight for the tinfoils and the others? Ive read people used them fine...But I want whats best for the fish.

I like it when they dont go crazy when the lights turn on. BUT I would rather have that then them getting NO sleep...

Yea.. I know...most fish doesnt have any eyelids to sleep...thats why I am curious about the nightlight...

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
It is seldom truly pitch-black outside in the wild, so having a little bit of light is actually closer to nature than complete darkness. I don't think two little led's will completely screw up their sleep pattern or anything.

I think I read somewhere that fish *might* lose some of their sight ability while they're sleeping (and they do only sleep for short periods, just an hour or two at a time). I'm not sure how much truth there is to the idea that a fish is blind while it's sleeping, but credit where it's due: human eyes lose much of their ability to see when we sleep....I've seen people sleep with their eyes open before, and waving your hand in front of them, they can't see a thing.... I am pretty sure that the only thing we can discern during sleep is sharp differences in light/dark, say, from turning on a bright lamp in a completely dark room. The same may hold true for fish; I dunno....

If you sleep with a lamp on, and someone turns on the light, you're less likely to get startled from your sleep than if it is a big change, and I would assume that your fish have a similar experience. There is some light present, therefore a little more isn't so much of a shock....

It's a zen thing, I think...

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I had it that way for 1 year where it is PITCH black everynight. I am changing their routine now having nightlights. Can they adjust to this new routine even if all their lives (for the most part) spent the nights in Pitch black?

Ps. I really do enjoy reading all your answers. Even if someone disagrees with you on some stuff (sometimes me oops.. :) ) You stay cool about it and have an intelligent comeback. I think your going to be a GREAT mom. Do you know if your going to have a boy or girl? I can also assume you will be assisting us ALOT more for the next few months before the baby is due.

Hey.. if you have a boy..you can name him Peter..short for Gnathonemus petersi= elephant nose :)

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
They should be fine with the transition. They did okay this morning, didn't they?

Awww, shucks! I didn't know you cared!....

We're about 70/30 that it's a boy, most likely to be named Jackie Ryan or Jackie Thomas....if it's a girl, probably Theadocia Lorene (don't ask about the names, it's a long story...) we've been through battles over names and such....

Yeah, I've been forcibly kept away from the boards for a while (boss got on a "no computer at work" kick), but I'm pretty much back for the winter....

I've been blessed (?) with this brain that soaks up 500 times its weight in utterly useless trivia...it's the important stuff I forget...guess I need to "squeeze out my sponges"....

Then again, I am also an artist, specializing in vast canvases of bullshlt.....

Take me as I come, I guess....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store