Bengaii Cardinal........GONE!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
The title says it all. Little sparky is no where to be found. This morning he was eating and zooming around like a champ, this evening............gone without a trace :(

I'm thinking he might have gotten a little to close to one of my anemones. Either that or one of the members of my very efficient cleanup crew mugged him and dragged him off :thud: What a bummer :mad:

RIP Little Sparky

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Do you have a sump? If so--check there. It's amazing where fish can get. Otherwise, I'd suspect an anenome--as I recall, most of your cleaners are pretty benign and unlikely to go after a healthy fish.

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
OrionGirl said:
Do you have a sump? If so--check there. It's amazing where fish can get. Otherwise, I'd suspect an anenome--as I recall, most of your cleaners are pretty benign and unlikely to go after a healthy fish.
I have a sump but it's not connected yet ;) I have a rather large and aggressive hermit that likes to take swipes at my clown fish and vice versa. I don't think it was him though. I also have a star fish that can be pretty aggressive. The way my nassarius snails behave, if the Cardinal did end up dead and not consumed, I'm sure they made quick work out of him :( My feeling is it was my wild captured pink tip anemone. In my tank you are guilty until proven innocent. The thing is, I feed the darn thing all the time and it doesn't look like it just ate :confused:

I don't know............It's like an aquatic murder mystery :eek:

Fish_First

AC Members
Jan 14, 2005
what type of starfish do you have... my large green serpant star recently decided his buddy Aries the Firefish looked tastey... sigh* aries is no longer with us... he tasted to good...

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
I'm not sure what kind mine is. It's sort of a tan color with long thin legs, maybe 4 1/2" across the tips of his legs. He and my clowfish get into it every so often going for the same food pellets!! He moves pretty fast but I doubt he caught the Bengaii.

Asfur

AC Members
Jan 26, 2005
Green Brittle stars are very adept at catching fish. They can stand up on the feet to create a cradle. the fish swims in during lights out and the star grabs it.

If its not the starfish then do you have any large mushroom polyps? these are also capable of catching a fish like a cardinal

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
Asfur said:
Green Brittle stars are very adept at catching fish. They can stand up on the feet to create a cradle. the fish swims in during lights out and the star grabs it.

If its not the starfish then do you have any large mushroom polyps? these are also capable of catching a fish like a cardinal
My starfish hardly EVER comes all the way out from under cover. He usually just reaches out and pulls his food in. The Bengaii usually hovered around the top of the tank and near the big anemone. My shooms aren't really big enough. I'm still thinking it was my anemone. After a very thorough search and some rearranging, I found no trace anywhere.

Fish_First

AC Members
Jan 14, 2005
most starfish are nocturnal, mine does nothing all day and then you can see him crawling around when the lights go out because he's about 15 inches... across... I think he made lunch to my firefish who liked to hide underneith a small ledge in my live rock near the bottom...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store