Best Cleaning Crew?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
well i would recomand getting rid of the pleco, get 2 BN plecos, ( perferably both females ) then 6 corys, 1 or 2 groumies ( yes spelled wrong ) and another schooling of some sort, maybe even a ram or two.

so you have now 12 neons and one common pleco? ok heres what i would do instead.

12 neons
2 bristlenose plecos
6 corys
2 groumies
1 or 2 rams
MAYBE an Angel

and call it stocked.

real

AC Members
May 28, 2012
Greater Sacramento
Real Name
Cyrus Javan
Thanks a TON for all the feedback. I think I will definately be going for the Corys, gouramis and rams. Ok and last question (I know I'm full of them) Can I add these fish one species at a time every weekend or is that too quick?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Not sure how well the pleco will be compatible with the corys. I had a male bristlenose in with my corys and he attacked the corys all the time. I had to put him into his own tank. Plus, the pleco may not eat algae when older. Nerite snails don't reproduce and are great algae eaters. You also have to think about the rams if you get a pair. They will be territorial if they breed and the corys are curious little fish.

I know there are some people who do not quarantine their stock but have you read up on quarantining? It's a great way to not lose fish from diseases. I usually wait 4 weeks to add anything to my tanks (that's how long I quarantine my fish) but I think 2 weeks is enough time. Not too sure about 1 week as the bacteria has to catch up.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
If I may interject, I vote for Ottos for the algae eaters. I bought just one for my 20 gal. The back of the tank was covered in algae, the next night it had eaten almost all of the algae.

FreshwaterQueen

AC Members
Apr 15, 2012
I tell you what I have a 39 gallon. And i have a smaller pleco about 5 inches. And I noticed he and about 5 snails still wasnt doing the job that well... and i have a tall tank. I have about 5 Ghost shrimp... and i tell you what.. those suckers CAN EAT.. they said

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Also on another note: plecos are pooping machines. They might be good for cleaning when young, but when they get older most of the time, they will get lazy and stop eating algae anymore. As far as you keeping your pleco goes, we have given you advice and let you know what would happen. While I think common plecos should be banned from normal sale, and I think it would be beneficial for you to get a smaller sized pleco, In the end, it is your decision. Don't let anyone tell you what you have to do, its your fish tank after all.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
If I may interject, I vote for Ottos for the algae eaters. I bought just one for my 20 gal. The back of the tank was covered in algae, the next night it had eaten almost all of the algae.
otos need a group of 6. i would get 5 more.

real

AC Members
May 28, 2012
Greater Sacramento
Real Name
Cyrus Javan
Thanks again for the replies. And I have noticed all the poop in the tank all from the big ol Pleco. But I'm for sure going to get atleast 6 corys maybe next week.

On a side note I spoke with my mom and she said if the Pleco ever gets too big she will be happy to get of rid of him. So it's good to know she is open to options.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
its already to big for the 55 really.. and will only get bigger. i would do it now. and get two BN plecos in replacements.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store