best lighting to bring out cichlids colors.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Instead of 50/50 could you theoretically obtain the same lighting with a dual bulb fixture, one 6500k bulb and the other actinic?
Yes

In fact 50/50 PC bulbs are exactly that. One of the 2 rods of the bulb is actinic, and the other is 6500-10,000k.

Brandyyyboo

Registered Member
Mar 19, 2011
So, if I have a dual fixture, should I get two 50/50 bulbs or one actinic bulb and one 10000K bulb?

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
I would personally go with 2 50/50's, so the color is more evenly distributed in the tank

m1r4ge

Registered Member
Mar 14, 2011
Brooklyn,NY
My lights finally arrived. I tested both of them and each of them separately.
Using only aqua-glo will enhance red, orange and blue(not so much of blue IMO). My red peacock, who looked completely brown under a standard yellow daylight, looks amazingly. They actually red now. Although its great for red peacock my electric yellow kind of gain some orange color. Aqua-glo makes them look like light orange.
Using reef sun 50/50 enhances blue. My blue cichlid looks also amazing. And the color of the light is white/blue.
When using both of them together you gain all of the above. Plus electric yellow gets its natural yellow color back with some minor orange shine.
Overall Im greatly satisfied. here is some pictures of my new lights.

03192011200.jpg 03192011201.jpg 03192011202.jpg

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Very nice! Really bring out the colors!

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
That depends on several factors, such as what plants you want to keep, if you're dosing ferts, if you're injecting oxygen, etc. You need to maintain a balance between what looks good for the fish, and what helps to grow the plants.

As for bulb color temperature is concerned, the plants won't utilize light nearly as well outside the 5,000k to 10,000k range. I have found personally, that with 50/50 bulbs or actinic light in my planted tanks, I grow algae much faster, and the plants get no benefit from the light. Others have reported different results. Granted, my 50/50's and actinics have all been Power Compact Fluorescents, as opposed to standard fluorescent T12, T8, T5, or T5HO. I've never messed with halides yet...

I'd recommend a 6,500k & a 10,000k bulb in a 2 bulb fixture. The 6500k is generally agreed upon to be best for plant growth, and the 10,000k should do ok for plants, while helping to cut the red/yellow tones of most 6500k bulbs and bring the blue back to the tank. I found that when using 2 bulbs like that, plant placement aside, that I like having the 10000k bulb in the front socket, to make the colors pop a little more on the side of the fish you get to see.

Jason-282

I am now an addict
Mar 9, 2008
Bay Area
That depends on several factors, such as what plants you want to keep, if you're dosing ferts, if you're injecting oxygen, etc. You need to maintain a balance between what looks good for the fish, and what helps to grow the plants.

As for bulb color temperature is concerned, the plants won't utilize light nearly as well outside the 5,000k to 10,000k range. I have found personally, that with 50/50 bulbs or actinic light in my planted tanks, I grow algae much faster, and the plants get no benefit from the light. Others have reported different results. Granted, my 50/50's and actinics have all been Power Compact Fluorescents, as opposed to standard fluorescent T12, T8, T5, or T5HO. I've never messed with halides yet...

I'd recommend a 6,500k & a 10,000k bulb in a 2 bulb fixture. The 6500k is generally agreed upon to be best for plant growth, and the 10,000k should do ok for plants, while helping to cut the red/yellow tones of most 6500k bulbs and bring the blue back to the tank. I found that when using 2 bulbs like that, plant placement aside, that I like having the 10000k bulb in the front socket, to make the colors pop a little more on the side of the fish you get to see.
Hmmm...Thanks for the info. I'm doing just low level light plants such as Java Ferns and Anubias. As far as my current setup goes, I have a 2 bulb fixture w/ a Power GLO t5 18000K and a t5 Coralife POWERMAX....not sure of details...but I've had it for almost a year and it's looking quite dim so it may be on it's way out.

I have a 72gal bowfront...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store