Best method of acclimation?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
I'm curious what everyone thinks is the best way of acclimating new fish. The local Petco says you let the bag float for 15-60 mins. Then you dump the fish into the tank. The LFS that I used to go to suggested you fold down the sides of the bag to form a collar. Float the bag for 15-20 mins. Then every 15-20 mins afterwards, add a little bit of tank water. Once the bag is filled, net the fish and add them to the tank.

My method is quite a big more involved, but I'm starting to question how effective it is and whether I'm just wasting my time. I float the bag for 15-20 mins. Then I dump the fish and the water from the bag into a 5g bucket. Then I use a siphon with a spigot on the end to establish a drip from the tank to the bucket. When the bucket hits 3-4g full I net the fish and put them into the tank. My problem with this method is that it literally takes hours. It can take 2-3 hours at minimum. So I wonder if what I'm doing is overkill. Any thoughts?

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
It's not overkill if the pH of water in the bag is significantly different from the pH of water in your tank. An example would be if your tank water was 6.4, and the bag water was 7.6
If the pH in the tank & bag water are close to the same - say 7.0 in one, and 7.4 in the other, (within .5), then yes you are acclimating far more/longer than you need to. A half hour of adding water slowly from your tank into the bag, or bucket, would suffice in the latter case.
But of course, after acclimation, it's always a good idea to net the fish first, out of the bag (into a bucket) or out of the bucket, before placing the fish in the tank. Do not dump the bag with it's water & the fish together into your tank.

Last edited:

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
For me it depends on how valuable or weak the fish is. If its a normal healthy fish, I float the bag, and slowly add tank water into the bag, after about 20 min, I scoop the fish out of the bag and put it into the aquarium.
If its a valuable or weak fish I drip acclimate.
Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
It depends on the fish, how fussy they are, and all sorts of other things. But, the best way is drip acclimation (no need to float the bag first though--that only stresses the fish), and then net them and add them to the tank. Preferably a QT tank (if possible). I know when I worked for a big box store, it was impractical to drip acclimate all our fish just because of the sheer amount of fish we got at once. We floated the bags for temp. acclimation of most of the fish, but we did drip acclimate the most sensitive fish.

Emily

ColleenT

AC Members
Sep 23, 2012
Lehigh Valley Pa
Real Name
Colleen Troiani
me-->bring home fish, float the bag for 5 minutes- Cut the top off, and bring to the bathroom sink. plug the drain( in case any fish slip out) and gently pour out lot of the water. place bag in tank and use clothespin to hold bag in place. Add a little water every few minutes. when it seems to be about 20 min.-i net the fish and place in the tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It's not overkill if the pH of water in the bag is significantly different from the pH of water in your tank. An example would be if your tank water was 6.4, and the bag water was 7.6
If the pH in the tank & bag water are close to the same - say 7.0 in one, and 7.4 in the other, (within .5), then yes you are acclimating far more/longer than you need to. A half hour of adding water slowly from your tank into the bag, or bucket, would suffice in the latter case.
But of course, after acclimation, it's always a good idea to net the fish first, out of the bag (into a bucket) or out of the bucket, before placing the fish in the tank. Do not dump the bag with it's water & the fish together into your tank.
:thumbsup:

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
The best way too acclimate is drip acclimation. First, depending on the travel time, I'll float the bag to better equalize temperature while I get set up. I'll use a smaller bucket/container inside a larger 2.5 or 5g bucket. The bag and fish are carefully emptied into the smaller bucket. The secondary bucket ensures that even if the fish bucket overflows, there's no mess. Then, use air line tubing to create a siphon drip. You can use a valve, or a simple knot to control the drip. No absolute rule on drip flow. After the water level has sufficiently increased, net the fish and transfer (don't want that LFS water in your tank!). Discard the bucket water. Top off the tank as/if required with fresh conditioned water.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
It is a parameters and time game. The first concern is how long the fish have been in the bag, how many fish and what size. Longer, more and bigger all magnify the issues Unless the temperature is radically different form that of the tank, minimal temperature acclimation should be needed. There are two much more important issues. TDS/hardness is one. The greater the difference between the bag water and the tank water, the more of an issue this can be. It has to do with osmoregulation. Most of the time this is not a huge consideration.

The most important issue is pH difference, but not because pf pH per se, but due to the effect pH has on ammonia. Travelling in a bag reduces the pH of the bag water over time. So the longer the fish have been in the bag, the more the pH of the bag water may have dropped. Ammonia causes water to become more acid and ammonia build up is greater the longer the fish are in the bag.

Where the greatest potential problem occurs, and what kills or harms most fish, is the process of acclimation itself. This happens when the water in the bag is of a lower pH than the water being added to the bag. In transport, even as the ammonia level in the bags is increasing, the pH is dropping and this in turn helps to render the ammonia less toxic. When we begin to add water to acclimate, it can often raise the pH. This can be the result of a couple of factors. One, if the new water is of a higher pH, this will raise the overall pH. But there is also the issue of the buffering capacity of the added water acting to raise the pH. Much the same as in a fishless cycle folks are told to keep the pH up by adding sodium bicarbonate, adding new water with a higher carbon/carbonate component can raise the pH. Thus acclimation can act to turn basically non-toxic ammonia in the bag water into more toxic water as the pH rises due to the addition of new water. Of course, if the bag water has a higher pH than the new water, this should not be an issue. One trick we can use, if we are worried about ammonia, is to add a bit of an ammonia detoxifier to the bag water- Amquel or Prime work fine ( I actually add a bit of Amquel to bag water when I ship fish.).

The above reason is why I hate when shippers add methylene blue or bag buddies to the water. It makes it virtually impossible to use common test kits to try and measure either pH or ammonia levels in the bag. Of course, if the bag water has a higher pH than the new water, this will not be an issue.

As a rule of thumb, the longer the fish have been in the bag, the greater the danger that acclimation techniques can cause more harm than good. Often bag water can get nasty enough that the risk of allowing the fish to remain in bag water is a much greater than the risk getting them into clean water ASAP. On the other hand, just bringing home fish from a local store or from a breeder or friend etc. where the fish are only in the bag for a few hours is much less of a risk. Moreover, fish shipped will have less water in the bag than ones hand carried- water is pricey to ship.

From a pure pH point of view, most fish can easily handle larger changes than most assume. I have seen wild caught Altum angels experience a change of close to 1 full pH point in under 5 minutes and suffer no ill effects. I have added muriatic acid to their water and done this myself. So I know it is possible and safe.

The final consideration is the specific fish involved. Different fish handle different types of parameter changes differently. While I have changed the pH for Altums by a full point, I am much more restrictive in terms of TDS changes. But for plecos it is the reverse. They handle big pH changes less well but can tolerate much greater changes in TDS as they are seasonal spawners and are able to to handle a rapid drop in TDS typical in the wild.

Another issue many folks ignore when floating fish in a bag is what is on the outside of the bag. Stores typically write the description or price on the outside of the bag, Then we plop the bag into the wtaer. How safe is that ink? And then how do we know what else may have gotten on the outside of the bag during the whole process. When buying in a store, ask the clerk to double bag and write on the outside bag which you can remove before floating. I also will run clean water over the bag before floating it to remove stuff that may be on it. Even better, when possible, is to unbag the fish into a container and avoid putting the bags into your tank. Another way to avoid contamination potential when you need to warm the bag water is to fill a bucket with warmer water and float the bag in the bucket and not in the tank. The nice thing is you don't have to dechlor the bucket water as the fish don't come into contact with it.

I used to do all sorts of stuff regarding acclimating new fish for a number of years. Now most of the time its a short temperature raising and then into a bucket or the tank. Sometimes I will do an addition of my water to the bucket before the fish get netted into the tank, but more often its bag to bucket to tank in under 5 minutes. Do not underestimate the benefits of moving fish into clean water sooner rather than later.

The trick to knowing what sort of acclimation is needed or not and what might be harmful or safe, you need to consider the specific situation- what fish, what temps, what pHs and what TDS may be involved and how long the fish have been in the bag.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store