Best practice for Aqueon filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

junyor

AC Members
Nov 3, 2019
Hi Guys:
I have read a lot about this topic here and other forums, I'm still a little confused on the best practice for this filters, I mean, I have an Aqueon 50 in my 36 gal tank, I like this filters for their very little noise and good flow, now, the media in this filters last a month and the light start blinking indicating the cartridge is clogged and need "replacement or clean", this filters have also the Bio Holster for the cartridge and the special pad water flow thing, as many of you may know this cartridges have active carbon, I know there's a whole other topic regarding active carbon "benefits" in the aquarium water.

Now my question is the following: Is there a need to replace the filter cartridge since there's a Bio Holster for good bacteria? I don't want to start a mini cycle every time I change the cartridge.
Just to let you know I put a Fluval Polishing pads inside the filter and in the flow between the bio holster and the water exit.

Thanks

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Best is to just rinse & squeeze the heck out of the filter cartridge in either tank or dechlorinated water. Filter cartridges should last for many months but not forever.

I prefer 2 filters on almost all tanks 20g & over. That way you can clean the heck out of 1, even using tap water & not put much of a dent in your beneficial bacteria. BB can double every 24 hours. The added flow from a second filter will help remove more detritus too.

As for carbon, it's only adsorbing "stuff" for a very short time, but is also a good place for BB to grow, lots of surface area. Don't worry about it.

Jspring89

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2019
The bottom pad or sponge should be replaced every 3-4 months and you dont want to rinse your basket when you do that or ever because it will help keep the beneficial bacteria in the tank and help cycling to establish your new sponge.

junyor

AC Members
Nov 3, 2019
Hi:
Thanks for the replies, I just did some "mods" to the filter, I removed the fluvia pads, I add ceramic rings inside the filter and change the cartridge for a Top Fin fiber pad U media, and worked like a charm.

Thanks

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like they changed the design of these Aqueon filters since I used a Quiet Flow 75 a few years back. There was basically no room to add more media or any other type of media other than the aqueon replacement pads and these pads didn't last long before they'd start to come apart.

You could add more media, but in doing so, the "dirty" water is only going to contact a small area to the left and that's it.

I eventually gave this filter away.

Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

junyor

AC Members
Nov 3, 2019
Sounds like they changed the design of these Aqueon filters since I used a Quiet Flow 75 a few years back. There was basically no room to add more media or any other type of media other than the aqueon replacement pads and these pads didn't last long before they'd start to come apart.

You could add more media, but in doing so, the "dirty" water is only going to contact a small area to the left and that's it.

I eventually gave this filter away.
Hey Freshy:
Actually there's not much room for media I have to "improv" to put the rings, since the top fin pads aren't too thick the water flow goes thru without problems and isn't overflowing. Before this I tried with the original cartridge and other media and the water was overflowing in the left side like crazy.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I also added an Aquaclear 50 to the tank, now I have both filters running.
I prefer Aquaclear HOBs over any other I've used. I'd use the aquaclear for your media customization and use the aqueon in stock form for mainly mechanical filtration.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
Hey Freshy:
Actually there's not much room for media I have to "improv" to put the rings, since the top fin pads aren't too thick the water flow goes thru without problems and isn't overflowing. Before this I tried with the original cartridge and other media and the water was overflowing in the left side like crazy.
I have Aqueon Quiteflow LED 10 and the "water was overflowing in the left side" thing happened to me because I bought a pad smaller (small size) than the one i needed (medium size). Maybe you got the incorrect size too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store