Best way to lower ph quickly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vinhjamin8302

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
St. louis, Mo
I want to keep fish from the amazon i.e arowana, arapaima or something in that nature lol arapaima...anyway my municipal water is a whopping 8.4, I've been doing daily ro water changes and it seems to work but slowly, does anyone know a quicker way
I have a 100 gal and I've been doing 15g a day for 3 days, I tested today and I was at 8.0
I also tested the robust to make sure it was actually ro and it tested low neutral I believe
Any tips would be great

HarleyK

AC Members
Dec 7, 2006
Remember that pH it's a logarithmic scale. That means that pH 6 is 100x more acidic than pH 8.
Changing 15 gal at a time means you'll die of old age before you can measure changes in pH.

Sounds like you don't have fish in the tank, yet. Lowering pH quickly would kill them. But you can without fish easily empty you tank down to a remaining 10 gal and then fill with RO water. Then you'll see neutral pH immediately.

Good luck
HarleyK

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The easiest way to do it is to work with the pH of your tap water. The other issue is 100g isn't nearly enough for arowana.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The easiest way to do it is to work with the pH of your tap water. The other issue is 100g isn't nearly enough for arowana.
Nor an Arapaima.

vinhjamin8302

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
St. louis, Mo
I know 100g isn't enough for an arowana but it's a juvenile and I do plan on getting a bigger tank in the near future, my tap measures like 8.4

vinhjamin8302

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
St. louis, Mo
Remember that pH it's a logarithmic scale. That means that pH 6 is 100x more acidic than pH 8.
Changing 15 gal at a time means you'll die of old age before you can measure changes in pH.

Sounds like you don't have fish in the tank, yet. Lowering pH quickly would kill them. But you can without fish easily empty you tank down to a remaining 10 gal and then fill with RO water. Then you'll see neutral pH immediately.

Good luck
HarleyK
This sounds good but man that's a load of 5 gal jugs

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Most likely the bigger issue will be space, not pH. Unless you are looking to breed, slowly acclimating the fish to your water will be best. In truth, if you are buying locally, talk with your LFS. They probably are keeping the fish in tap water already.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store