Betta body/fin rot!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NinjaPirate

AC Members
Oct 28, 2006
Minnesota
I would deffinantly QT if at all possible. A filtered tank would be best, but a large bowl in a warm, constant room would work in a pinch. In a bowl you just need to be doing significant water changes daily to keep the water clean.

Any new water needs to be pre-treated to remove chemicals (via Prime or similar water conditioner of choice) and needs to be kept as near the same temp as possible.

TheMightyQueenPixie

Best Invention EVER!
Apr 16, 2002
Barrie, ON. Canada
www.baycitybettas.com
I can not get Kanaplex locally. I can get Maracyn I and Maracyn II - should I take the betta out and put into a seperate bowl or keep in aquarium. The tank has 2 Dwarf platties and 2 Ottos (which are healthy as all get out).

If I take betta out, does he need a filter, how much old water should I use?

Thanks

Its a little late in the day to be doing anything now. Do him a favor and put him out of his misery. Fin rot to that degree does not happen over night. That pic is of out and out neglect.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
I wouldnt kill the little betta. I would separate him and cure him. I cure my female betta when her fins where tore up I just put her in a bowl with some cultured gravel and some new water, treated the water and added some aquarium salt put the betta in. And within a week or so her dorsal started growin back. She is healthy to this day.

palmbreeze

Fish are friends...not food!
Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
He doesn't seem to be in any misery at all. He swims around and eats his food. I would hate to kill an animal for no reason.

palmbreeze

Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
I'm afraid to put him in a QT tank because every betta I have QT has got worse and died. Every time. I don't want that at all. I want to try to save my little betta fish.

anaerobe

Neppy4evrrr
Mar 18, 2006
I think he must be put in a QT smaller tank where it's 100% clean so that he can't get infected by other bacteria in the normal tank. For such advanced fin rot you would need to get antibiotics, such as Kanamycin.. Get Tetraclycine or Ampicillin. Finrot is usually due to bacterial infections. It also sounds like you have fungus, so I would also suggest Jungle Fungus Eliminator. Again, you need to get them ASAP if you want to save him. Sounds like he's running out of time.
HTH!

anaerobe

Neppy4evrrr
Mar 18, 2006
If you're afraid of additional stress in the QT then try to make the temperature the same. And im assuming you use the same type of water you used to fill up the normal tank. But i believe it is important to quarantine him for his health and the others

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
Like I posted, a quick salt bath with aquarium salts should destroy the living infection as it stands. It's a quick and easy alternative to relying on those other medications. Kill that which is eating him first. Like a doctor, you have to stabilize the patient before you can begin to heal him.

Do a salt wash in an unfiltered container. Then keep him in a small clean QT. I'd suggest unfiltered, since most medications work best without filtration, but I do suggest a small heater to keep him comfortable. Provide him with a dark hiding place and/or a silk plant he can find cover in. I wouldn't add any gravel, as it can house fungus and bacteria. But the glare from a plain-bottomed tank can be very stressful, so paint it black or in another dark color if you can to reduce glare. This will greatly reduce his level of stress at being moved. Probably the reason you've had trouble in the past with bettas dying in QT is because the added stress compounded with the illness pushed them to their limit.

Do salt baths and keep him in indirect, low-lighting until there is no sign of fluff or fungus. This will 'stabilize' the ongoing infection, kill the microbes and flora causing it, then you can begin healing and prevantative treatment with the other medicines reccomended. Also, begin feeding a very protein-rich diet. You can even supplement with slivers of beef heart, gelled waterfleas, or tiny bites of steamed cocktail shrimp from your local store. He'll need the extra protein-boost to regrow the lost tissue and finnage. I also suggest that if you can get your hands on almond leaves or blackwater extract to add this in small doses to his QT. It's more like their natural water conditions and he may find this soothing if done gradually.

This should ensure that your fish, if it is salvageable, will make it out alive.

palmbreeze

Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
Betta update:

He is in his own QT bowl and his gets salt baths twice daily. He gets his water changes twice daily. The fuzziness is gone but his tail does not seem to be growing back. I have used the 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon of water rule and he bathes for 15 minutes. I wonder if this is not strong enough?

I am dosing his bowl with Maracyn and Maracyn II and am feeding him high protein foods.

He is a happy little guy and he gets along fine without his tail. I now have a trained betta. I don't use a net to get transfer him to his bath, I use my hand. He now will just swim into my hand and lets me pick him up. He knows the routine. He's so sweet!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store