Betta fatigued?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nynikki

"Would you like to play a game?"
Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
I started with a Betta in a bowl and after reading here, I found that he really needed a filtered environment. So, after much research I got a bigger tank, listed below (still cycling). I have a Fluval canister filter, and have added an air stone to the tank. There's a pretty good current in the tank, and the other fish don't seem to be bothered by it at all, but my Betta seems exhausted. The tank is planted so there are plenty of places to duck under the current but he's been wedging himself in plants (nothing tight, just between stalks), hiding behind the filter intake/output hoses, and resting on larger leaves on his side. Should I be concerned about his health if he has been living like this?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Bettas are not used to currents especially when they have extraordinarily long fins. Divert the flow from where the betta tends to swim. They dwell on the surface and therefore will definitely prefer the surface especially when they have a habit for bubblenest-building.

nickmcmechan

Proudly Scottish
Feb 25, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
i agree, bettas dont like current

ways to avoid this:

cover filter outlet with a fine mesh such as a stocking

direct flow to back wall of the tank, forcing your betta to stay near the front where you can see him

direct flow to bottom of the tank, at the back, over your heater?

whatever you do you must create a significant area of calm water with almost no flow in the tank, then your betta man will be happy!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store