Betta fish is bloated and floating sideways at the top of the tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

autumm

AC Members
Dec 27, 2022
This morning when I woke up to feed my 10g i found my betta lying sideways and floating at the top of the tank. from my experience a betta will sleep at the bottom of the tank, so i checked it out. i saw that he was bloated and kind of tired. just wondering if you guys have any ideas to help out?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
First, more details. Tank ready nags from a good liquid test kit? Tank size and other mates? Maintenance routine? How long has tank been established?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just to add to the above, bettas will overeat and they can get blocked up and bloated on poor quality foods. I would avoid foods with grains and fillers listed in the first 3 ingredients.

I have not had any luck getting them out of this condition once in it unfortunately. These poor little buggers tend not to be in the best condition when you buy them.

autumm

AC Members
Dec 27, 2022
i dont have a test kit (unfortunately). he was in a tank with 5 neon tetras that like to stay near the bottom. i had some aquatic snails and recently my betta has been crunching on something so that may to be blame (eek!). currently he is in a 2g quarantine tank. i was just about to change the water this morning when i found out he was acting like that. he is currently floating at the top, leaning on the side of the tank. his back is out of the water a little. i've actually had him for quite a while, and i have been feeding him betta food made from insect larvae.

autumm

AC Members
Dec 27, 2022
im really worried since i just realized im out of bettafix. asked around if my neighbors had any but none of them have a fish. my friend didnt have any either so now im concerned.

also, i saw this on the internet, but will garlic actually improve a betta's immune system? im highly skeptical but since my betta is bloated so badly im getting desperate.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Is the QT tank filtered and established??

Stop feeding.

Don't use a bunch of quick fix meds.

Water changes are your best aid right now.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

autumm

AC Members
Dec 27, 2022
Is the QT tank filtered and established??

Stop feeding.

Don't use a bunch of quick fix meds.

Water changes are your best aid right now.
so i went to the pet store to get some bettafix since i wasnt waiting on amazon, they tole me to get this plant instead. and i was like, wait what??? but i was kinda desperate since my betta was bloated so badly and could barely stay entirely underwater. after i did a slight water change and added the plant, it took my betta 20 mins to act as if nothing had happened lol.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Like suggested.. Stop feeding. Stop adding meds or additives other than the tap water dechlorinator you may need. 50% water changes are the norm and should be included in your weekly regimen.

That's an anubia plant. It's a slow growing plant that does not root in the substrate. It can never hurt to have live plants with your fish.

Reactions: autumm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store