Betta in a 2.5 gal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LC

AC Members
Feb 26, 2007
Toronto
I when to my LFS yesterday and saw a 2.5 gal kit for $25. or maybe it was a 3.5 gal. Anyways, it comes with a hood, air pump/tube/air-stone, under gravel filter, some fake plants (which I want to replace with live ones), some food, and a small bottle of water conditioner (not a big deal since I have a huge bottle already for my 5 and 10 gal). Should I get a heater with it? I was thinking about putting a Betta along with maybe 2 ghost shrimps. Is this a good idea?? Will the under gravel filter do it's job in cleaning water, and will the filter harm the roots of live plants? (not really sure how under gravel filter works) Can Bettas be in the same tank with shrimps?? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions.

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
I believe that an undergravel filter in a tank like that will just be kind of like a grate that sits above the floor of the tank and let's the crap float down. That's how my 1g is. So no, it won't hurt the roots of the plants, but it's kind of a pain to clean (I collect the clean water from the top and save it, then I dump the rest out from the bottom - its full of poop).

I believe the betta will be ok with the shrimp. Overall it sounds like an ok setup. I say go for it, but I suggest you get larger sized rocks for the substrate so that you don't have to gravel vac it. You can just dump them in the sink and they won't wash down. That's how I do it with my 1g and I've had it for over a year. Also, I don't heat mine and it's been ok as long as it's room temperature. If your room temperature isn't really cold, that is.

I say go for it.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
go for it, but my betta used to kill and devour any shrimp he could. I think about 50-60% of bettas are not shrimp safe. keep this in mind if you want shrimp. I also feel bettas should have a 5G minimum.

if you have alot of light over than tank (get a 10W CF bubl) and alot of plants, you can easily go without the UGF if you want a betta.

you could also do:
a pair of scarlet badis
a clown killifish
a pair of sparkiling gouramis
a bumblebee goby (you'd need to make it brackish)

it's also good for african dwarf frogs and many diferent kinds of shrimp.

LC

AC Members
Feb 26, 2007
Toronto
2.5 gallon for $25? if im not mistaken, wal mart has 10 gallon tanks for like $10 and a filter is about $14 more. MUCH more space
Sorry, I went there again yesterday and it was a 5 gal kit, my bad! but I'll check Wal-Mart this weekend no doubt. Thanks for the heads up.

TommyR

Add water, makes it's own sauce!
Dec 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Sorry, I went there again yesterday and it was a 5 gal kit, my bad! but I'll check Wal-Mart this weekend no doubt. Thanks for the heads up.

Get the 5 gal! He'll be happier!

Tom

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Hi I have my betta in a 3 gallon eclipse tank with filter and biowheel the light acts like a heater so I don't have to bother buying a heater separately and it keeps the water warm. My betta loves it considering he was in that awlful small bowl they had them in at the LFS. The filter keeps the water super clean my betta is actually in the pic under my name. Good luck with yours!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store