Betta in an aquarium with sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Cheers. I've taken your views. I've got Tetra Fresh Delica Bloodworm, Tetra Fresh Delica Brine Shrimp and the usual Tropical Flake Fish food. I'll give some variety over the 3 each day. So hopefully this variety would be enough.

Check ammonia, nitrite, both zero today. Yay! I'll do a water change anyway.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Just be careful with any of the freeze dried bloodworms or krill etc, if they get eaten quickly before they absorb water they can be rather hard to pass if you know what I mean.

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Limnophila Sessiflora plant has died. Sort of crumbled when I was doing the water change. Hmmmpphhh...:confused:

Maybe because I planted it into the sand substrate?

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Just be careful with any of the freeze dried bloodworms or krill etc, if they get eaten quickly before they absorb water they can be rather hard to pass if you know what I mean.
Sure matey! No probs.

:idea: I won't go for freeze dried in that case.

I've already got these Tetra Bloodworms and Brine Shrimp in stock as I feed my tropicals with them. They are gel based. Hopefully they'll be suitable.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
if you soak the freeze dried foods with a bit of tank water then they that will lower your chances of constipating your fish. you can also use a bit of garlic juice.

back when i had 7 bettas (i swear it's not an addiction! lol) i fed freeze-dried bloodworms quite often. soaked them beforehand and never had an issue.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
if you soak the freeze dried foods with a bit of tank water then they that will lower your chances of constipating your fish. you can also use a bit of garlic juice.

back when i had 7 bettas (i swear it's not an addiction! lol) i fed freeze-dried bloodworms quite often. soaked them beforehand and never had an issue.
That works too, just don't get lazy and forget lol

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK

7 bettas! Now how is that not an addiction? :grinyes:

Did u have it all as a sorority or at separate times since they are reputated to only live bout 3 years?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i had all seven at one time, all housed by themselves - three males each in their 10 gallon tanks, one female in a 20 gallon tank community, two other females in 2 gallons each, and a male that i had for a short time (rehomed him) in a 1.5 gallon.

that was before i moved on to having 'real tanks', lol.

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
i had all seven at one time, all housed by themselves - three males each in their 10 gallon tanks, one female in a 20 gallon tank community, two other females in 2 gallons each, and a male that i had for a short time (rehomed him) in a 1.5 gallon.

that was before i moved on to having 'real tanks', lol.
3 males in a 10 gallon? Won't they have got all flared up all the time since I assume you used the divides to keep them apart?

Man you must have had a job and a half to keep the 4 tanks at one point.

I'm just about managing with the 2 I have now. Lol, seems like keeping goldfish are so much easier now (had an oranda until I lost it bout a month + ago) since you don't need to be worried bout heating, and water changes just directly on room tempreture rather than heating it up also to aquarium temp.

However, found the aquarium a bit empty since could only keep one goldfish in the 21 gallon.

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Hi all,

I've made the plunge and got myself a Betta Splenden.

Water was ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 5ppm. Ph 7.0

PS . No worries. Keeping a sharp eye on all water parameters.

Named him Bruce! :dance:

Few photo's attached

IMAG0217.jpg IMAG0218.jpg IMAG0216.jpg IMAG0214.jpg IMAG0221.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store