Betta killed Ghost Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bender81

AC Members
Mar 6, 2005
Toronto
Hi, I have a 1/2 gallon for my betta and I tried putting in some ghost shrimp with him. As soon as he saw them he would chase them around the tank. The shrimp were insanely fast, but eventually he killed both after two days. Is this a sign that he won't do well in a community tank? I was planning on moving him to one after I got a 5.5g or 10g tank.

jasperfish

AC Members
Jan 22, 2005
I put my male betta in my comunity tank and he went nuts chasing everyone, and that was in a 20 gallon long. I have been told the females do well in a comunity tank.

Ems

Betta lover!
Jan 4, 2005
British Columbia
Not necessarily.
I think he killed them because the space you were keeping them in is way too small.
It's almost too small for just a betta. The shrimp had no place to go and hide/get away from the betta.
He'd probably do better in a 10G with other fish.

Analog Saint

AC Members
Aug 25, 2004
Washington, DC
yeah, cramped space can make fish a LOT more territorial. When my paradise fish turned violent suddenly, I had to switch my betta from a 3 gallon to a 10 gallon community. This betta would flare at just about everything that came near his little swamp... But miraculously in the 10 gallon, he's been just fine with the cories and pleco.

It also helps if you add territorial fish last- so if you do try your betta in a community tank, introduce him last.

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
Ghost shrimp are food. Even my zebra danios pick on the smaller ones. I can somewhat agee with Ems above post, if you had more space the shrimp would last longer. But I think thats all Einstien. If I put my dogs food in a small bowl, he eats it faster than if I put a few kibbles in the living room a few in the bedroom etc et al.

Bender81

AC Members
Mar 6, 2005
Toronto
I realize it's a territory thing because of the small tank, but he never treated the ghost shrimp as food. He killed them then left them there, which is why I was asking if he's likely to do similiar things in a larger community tank. No need for the "Einstein" comment. =\

Ems

Betta lover!
Jan 4, 2005
British Columbia
He didn't necessarily kill them for food, its because they were in "his territory", and they had no escape, as stated above. I don't know if he would act the same in a larger tank, as it has not been tested.
Depending on his aggressiveness toward his reflection, etc. Testing is the best way to determine if he will act the same way or not.

tornangel012

Melancholy Dreamer
Feb 12, 2005
Powell
www.torn012.net
I agree with everyone above it was a space/territory issue. I would suggest you get a 10 gal as well. You will enjoy it a lot more then 5 gal and it really isn't that much space. PLUS you can have more fish that way to enjoy. As you get more into this "hobby" or whatever you would like to call it you still soon find out even a 10 gal won't quench your need for tanks. I just started the past couple months and I've got two 10 gals, a 49 just waiting to start cycling and then I prod into my boyfriends 55gal.

Good luck! ;)

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
I didn't mean to sound rude, sorry if I was misunderstood. I like stupid examples like that. What I meant was, if your fish is killing them, a bigger tank would only prolong thier life because it gives them more room to hide. He would find them eventually. This was based on the assumtion he was eating them. Einstien's theory of relitivity, while credited to a genius, is common sense. That is, you have a fish capable of killing your shrimp and are asking if it would be ok in a community tank. As far as the shrimp are concerned thier survival would be relative to the tank size, as they are able to hide better in a larger tank. As far as THAT fish, it would be relative to the tankmates. I have a "community tank" where the betta would be a quick meal, and another one where he would be the agressor. Again based on my incorrect assumtion that your betta was eating the shrimp, he would have still eaten them in a larger tank, just not as fast. Again, my most sincere appologies. lotsa these::):)

jparnell

AC Members
Aug 29, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
My male betta is in a 10gallon with 3 yamato shrimp and 4 otos.
There are quite a few plants and a cave that the shrimp hide in, but quite often they come out and the betta doesn't pay them any notice. He's usually flaring at his reflection in the glass, and doesn't seem to care that there are shrimp in his tank.

Besides... he eats well enough... what a little pig!!! :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store