Betta lethargic after transfer to new tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sparklepuff

AC Members
Feb 6, 2021
I just recently transferred my male betta Nero (about 4months old) to a new 5 gallon tank from his 3.5 gallon tank 4 days ago. I let it cycle for over 48 hours (the water was treated with tap water Tetra Aquasafe and Seachem stability and some of the larger rocks/plants from his previous tank) before adding him and rinsed all other new ornaments (I put in some silk plants and a new hideout) with hot water as per the instructions. I placed a large plant right below the filter to reduce the flow, which is less than his previous tank.

The water parameters according to my last reading a few minutes ago: 0 Nitrate, 0 Nitrate. Water is little soft (I think 25 GH), 0 chlorine, alkalinity is about 120 and pH is neutral.

Since moving, Nero has been making a bubble nest, which he wasn't doing much before and ate yesterday (he swam very quickly to get to the food which relieved me a little bit lol). He doesn't have any visible symptoms (though I suspect he might have the beginnings of fin rot at the very tips?), but has been laying down a lot throughout the tank. He changes positions every little while, but just doesn't swim around a ton. He has also been burrowing in the gravel a bit, which I read could be a sign of parasites? If so, I worry about removing the filter cartridge this early on, the administer medication. But if he needs it, I will do so (with guidance...since I don't know what to do.)

He has survived a previous infection and swim bladder disease, and I really want to help him. :( I will attach better pictures if needed, its hard since he is so dark.

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Good looking betta!

Sorry if I missed it, but did you put any of the original tank's substrate, contents or filtration into the new tank?

You 100% should have if you didn't. Otherwise the new tank won't have a working nitrogen cycle. I doubt the fish is suffering from ammonia poisoning at this point, but maybe the water parameter shift between old/new is effecting him? Or it could be as simple as him being shy with the new setup.

sparklepuff

AC Members
Feb 6, 2021
I did! I put some of the substrate in (I have larger smooth stones and gravel, and didn't add much of the gravel since it looked slightly discolored...probably not a cause for concern but I was worried it might have dyes leeching out of it, but I added well over 15 of the rocks) , as well as two of the previous plants, and the same thermometer/leaf hammock.

I wish the parameters were more clearly off. Nitrate probably shouldn't be 0? I did a 30% water change just to be safe and added some more Stability. The water looks a bit cloudy today which I think is a good sign becteria-wise? He also has been changing position around on the bottom (despite being lethargic) so it doesn't look like he is in terrible shape.

Good looking betta!

Sorry if I missed it, but did you put any of the original tank's substrate, contents or filtration into the new tank?

You 100% should have if you didn't. Otherwise the new tank won't have a working nitrogen cycle. I doubt the fish is suffering from ammonia poisoning at this point, but maybe the water parameter shift between old/new is effecting him? Or it could be as simple as him being shy with the new setup.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Did I miss the temperature of the new water?

sparklepuff

AC Members
Feb 6, 2021
Nitrate has also gone up a little bit (still 0 on the strip technically but more yellow than before) since adding more Prime today (the bottle says to add it each day for the first week. Hopefully this is a good sign...I'm wondering if it really might be parasites?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The symptoms sound terribly like a Betta when the temperature is too low, at least to me anyway.if possible I would try increasing it to maybe 82 and keep a close eye on everything.

Lower it back down if things get worse.

As for removing filter media to use medication, that's likely to remove carbon. I would do it.. and change to media without carbon, or just a block of aquarium safe foam of the appropriate size.

sparklepuff

AC Members
Feb 6, 2021
The symptoms sound terribly like a Betta when the temperature is too low, at least to me anyway.if possible I would try increasing it to maybe 82 and keep a close eye on everything.

Lower it back down if things get worse.

As for removing filter media to use medication, that's likely to remove carbon. I would do it.. and change to media without carbon, or just a block of aquarium safe foam of the appropriate size.
I had to order a new heater since mine apparently isn't adjustable, it is coming in today. I turned on his tank lights since they do raise the temperature modestly. The water parameters are the same still (slightly more than 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, etc.)

There was no improvement after another 30% water change last night (I added Stability after this). I also ended up adding the carbon back in a few hours later after he appeared MUCH worse following the second dose of the anti-parasite medication. (I had added the medication in a few minutes after the water change, and within two hours he was gasping for breath...I just wanted the medication gone). This morning he was still on the bottom, not on his side, but then went back to laying down again over the course of the day.

This is kind of a last ditch effort...but I decided to try Indian Almond Leaf? I added a partial measurement the Fritz Dark Water solution & 1 small actual leaf. He is "sitting up" again but still won't move much or eat. My last betta died after being treated with antibiotics so I'm scared to try them again without more evidence that its an infection? Parasites made the most sense because he was burrowing in the gravel even before moving to this new tank...now I just don't know. :(

Hopefully it is just stress and he will perk up more with the new heater/once the tannins from the leaves start doing their thing.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm not a vet, but I wouldn't suggest making too many changes at once.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store