Betta Question, New to Betta's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evilyeti

AC Members
Jun 21, 2007
Hello everyone,

I was at my local walmart today when i was browsing the fish section, and I have normally just ignored the Betta's as i never really took much interest in them until today when my GF pointed out this really nice Dark Blue Male. After doing a few rounds in the pet section and looking at him a few times i decided to buy him sort of in a "Spur of the moment" kind of way.

That being said.... I should maybe not have bought him, i have 1 50 gallon tank that is currently being medicated for sick fish, and i only have 2 small 5 gallon tanks.

1 5 gallon tank is a fry tank for all my guppy's which i know i cannot put the Male Beta in, and the other 5 gallon tank is housing 6 fancy guppy's.

Would it be safe to put the Betta in with the fancy guppy's? Or would it be a bad idea? I know the males are really aggressive so I'm betting my hunch is probably the answer to my own question.

The only other object i have to put Mr.Betta in for now is a small fish bowl, the only thing that bothers me is i do not have any filter or air stones i could put in the fish bowl, the and fish bowl is not very large at all...

And i cannot go and buy anything larger until tomorrow.

Any suggestions on what to do in the mean time until tomorrow?

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
you can put him in the small bowl overnight.. IF youre going to buy a bigger setup TOMORROW. if you dont buy a bigger tank right away, i would just take him back, or to the LFS and give him away. he'll freak out at the fancy guppies because of their flowing fins and colors.

Evilyeti

AC Members
Jun 21, 2007

This is him, and the bowl i have put him in until i can buy something larger tomorrow

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
that will be fine until TOMORROW.. i will not condone keeping him in that more than 24 hours though.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Pretty fish, his color will probably come out much more if happy! Great reason for a new tank! If you can't get him a bigger, better tank tomorrow, I agree with Jdub... take him back. I never had any interest in Betta either, but I have this empty 2.5 that I may need to cycle... :D

Aphotic Phoenix

Graver Girl
Jun 5, 2007
Virginia, USA
- A 2.5 - 5 gallon tank will be fine for him (but not the ones with the guppies)
- A heater is a good idea
- Bettas do however breathe atmospheric oxygen, so they don't really need an air pump
- If you put in a small filter, a gentle flow one (like a sponge filter) is better for bettas...if you don't get a filter change water often
- Get a cover...Bettas can jump
- A little substrate / fake or real plant will give nitrifying bacteria a little more surface area to grow on.

Evilyeti

AC Members
Jun 21, 2007

Here are some photos of him in the 5 gallon hex i bought for him. Much better than the bowl :)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store