Bettas - Are the females just as pretty as the males?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Are female Bettas pretty or not?

• Pretty!

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ugly...

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
IMO, I think they are just as pretty as the males, if not prettier. That's just me, though. I want YOUR opinion, because female Bettas are often referred to as " ugly " or " Boring ". I have an absolutely beautiful, happy, female! And, everybody thinks female bettas are brown. Mine is vibrant turquoise, red, brown, dark blue, and white. Please tell me what you think of female bettas.

Question: Female Bettas -- are they pretty or not?

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
I like them just fine.
My first fish were a pair of female betta in a 10 gallon tank. That was because of my under-informed belief that females are not aggressive toward each other. Luckily for me/the fish I figured out soon enough that they liked each other much more on the other side of a divider, unless they have a much larger group.
Bottom line, I think they look just as good, or better because they don't have quite as ridiculously long goofy looking tails.

Brian

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
They have made strides in getting females with color and some of the show quality females are just as brilliant in coloration as the males. However historically females are brown since that is the wild type coloration for them. Female bettas are drab brown, or female bettas can be pretty are both true depending on the breeding.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Thanks for your input. Anyone else?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've not seen any locally with finnage that is as big and flowing as males, but the coloration and personality of female bettas is awesome. The best thing about them is you can keep groups of them (sororities). They do bicker and shove each other around a bit, but you can keep it under control with decor and space. I've kept up to 5 at a time in my community 55. Some of my favorite fish for sure.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've not seen any locally with finnage that is as big and flowing as males, but the coloration and personality of female bettas is awesome. The best thing about them is you can keep groups of them (sororities). They do bicker and shove each other around a bit, but you can keep it under control with decor and space. I've kept up to 5 at a time in my community 55. Some of my favorite fish for sure.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
Female betta are pretty. The only difference between the females and males are the fins. Males have long flowing fins and females don't. They come in the same colors as males but their color is just a bit mild in intensity.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
I'd say that's about right, I love the betta:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store