bettas in vases?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aristotle

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
Reston, VA
My mother got one of those vases with a beautiful red betta. The plant didn't look so good after a few weeks, so she took it out and put black opalescent glass marbles in the bottom of the vase. My father does a water change, I'm not sure of the specifics but I assume it is a 25% water change, every week. I'm not sure how frequently he cleans the marbles. I should ask him about that.

She's had that betta for a long time now. He swims around a little, and looks very healthy. If you sit near the vase he flares and shows off for you for a few minutes.

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
I had one. it was a pain and I wasn't even taking care of it as if it was a fish tank...like no testing etc. Just water changes and feeding the betta. It looked cool, the betta swam in the roots a little, and was probably mildly content...compared to the cupI bought him in. The roots got dirty, you gotta trim them back.

Hindsight, I have a betta in a community 15g, planted with hiding places etc. It seems like a more humane set-up. I have heard the analogy keeping bettas in tiny, under 1/2 gallon containers is like putting you in a closet, I'd say the vase is like locking you in a room of your house. You'll survive, but is it the best option?

Then again, do fish have feelings or long for a bigger pad?

Lisa

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I say if you're interested in setting up something like that go ahead. But I'm wondering if instead of the lily type plant on top with only the roots in the water...how bout finding a plant that could be planted underwater and also continue growing out of the water...make sure the opening at the top is big enough to be able to put your hand in the vase to clean it out when needed.

You could do regular water changes easy with a syphon tube and if you can get your hand in there to wipe the sides down as needed, you could actually keep it pretty clean. I've seen some really large glass jars/vases that hold as much as 5-10 gallons. You could get a floor size one and your betta would have lots of room to swim around and you could hide a little sponge filter in there on the bottom. Get the right setup and they blend in rather well.

Thinking about it, if you really got into it you could do a rather nice setup that is different than your average "square" type tank.

Just keep the fish's needs in mind when planning it out....for betta, temps in the mid to upper 70's, nice clean water, the ability to get to the surface for air and room to swim.....am I missing anything ??.....oh, yeah.....and have fun and share a pic of your setup when it's complete....so we can all add our 2cents worth of comments and complaints....lol....! ;)

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
a plant on top will rip any nutrients out of the water in no time if the plant is getting proper lighting. I have used the "betta plant" that is used on top of these contraptions for my own vegatative filter and I have no measurable ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. Not enought oxygen?????????? Does everyone remember where these fish come from??????? Oxygen deficient swamps and rice patties, ditches and canals......I think that the only thing that i see as bad is the temp, you will need to heat it so the water is at least 76 degrees

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
They do need to get to the top for a breath of air.....they have laboryth organs which help them get oxygen...because they live in oxygen depleted water in thier natural habitat...they need to get to the surface to breath. You cannot plug up the top of the vase with a plant. I have seen these plastic type plugs that the plant sits in used in these betta vases...NOT GOOD !

You can do a nice vase setup with bettas if you keep in mind thier needs when planning it out. Don't think you don't have to do water changes or that you don't have to feed the fish....some instructions will tell you these things and it is false. Bettas do NOT eat the roots of the plants and you have do water changes and keep the vase clean. Even heavily planted aquariums need water changes at least once a month if for nothing else but to replace the minerals and nutrients that the plants use up.

Be creative and consider the fish and you can have quite a nice conversation piece to share with your visitors.

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
Right. What you sed EMG
:D

butterflylove

fishie fishie fishie
Dec 17, 2004
maryland
we HAD one at work.....

at the front desk we had the big vase, with the plants and roots with a crown betta in it. when THEY did water changes and cleaned it, they just dumped out all of the water, and clean the rocks. the betta lived for years like that, until one day they asked a new girl to clean it, and she filled the water all the way up to the plastic part that holds the plants,therefore sufficating the poor thing.

i think its a good idea to have one, if you know what your doing.

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Emg said:
They do need to get to the top for a breath of air.....they have laboryth organs which help them get oxygen...because they live in oxygen depleted water in thier natural habitat...they need to get to the surface to breath. You cannot plug up the top of the vase with a plant. I have seen these plastic type plugs that the plant sits in used in these betta vases...NOT GOOD !

You can do a nice vase setup with bettas if you keep in mind thier needs when planning it out. Don't think you don't have to do water changes or that you don't have to feed the fish....some instructions will tell you these things and it is false. Bettas do NOT eat the roots of the plants and you have do water changes and keep the vase clean. Even heavily planted aquariums need water changes at least once a month if for nothing else but to replace the minerals and nutrients that the plants use up.

Be creative and consider the fish and you can have quite a nice conversation piece to share with your visitors.
yes I forgot to mention that they MUST have access to the water surface

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store