Better light?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Hi all,

next week opening my bank account. Will be getting new phone first then some stuff to my 27 UK gallon tank. I would want to do better lights, just like I have done in my 6 (it is finally a six gallon, 28L tank) gallon tank Walstad method. But my bigger tank is not gonna be Walstad, since I am squatting any fish in there LOL. Also will want additional filter in there, a HOB and will wanna do pothos for nitrate control + a potting mix soil for plants.

So the issue with lighting, the tank is pretty high, 50cm high - 5cm high brace as the light will sit peacefully on the brace. I have tried seeing how it will be with desk lamp I use (and will want to do it with the same model), so I put it on brace but the light is insufficient, but I have water spangles on water surface are so it could have reduced light capacity. I will also try without water spangles.

I still would want some help with the light. Any advice?

P.S.

The tank is 80cm

Reactions: FishAddict74

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
are yopu talking about the brace that goes across the middle of the tank to stop bowing, or the rim that goes around the outside?

I would watch for heat if the brace, and suggest going with something that would sit on the rimor edge of the tank on specific legs.

Lighting needs will revolve around the plants you want to keep, and then the fixture will also depend on your budget.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
are yopu talking about the brace that goes across the middle of the tank to stop bowing, or the rim that goes around the outside?

I would watch for heat if the brace, and suggest going with something that would sit on the rimor edge of the tank on specific legs.

Lighting needs will revolve around the plants you want to keep, and then the fixture will also depend on your budget.
Thanks!

I want the desk lamp to stand like on my 5 gallon, they both gonna have a ‚foot’ they stand on. No, there should be no heat coming from the lamp. Why?

I want to have crypts, ludwigias and i will gonna hev swords as well. I just want to have better ligthting just like in my 5 gallon, but the only problem I dont see the light penetrating deep enough. I thought it was cuz of how high my tank is.

What would you suggest?

This is what I mean:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Let me be the first to say that looks like a bad outtake from a Pixar movie.

really, stop balancing desk lamps on a rank. if it tips over the cling film will not support its weight, and you are likely to have electrical issues at least.

*ALL* lamps will create heat of some sort, some more than others, it depends on how much light, how many watts are being used to create that, how close together the actual light emitters are, and how well it can be dissipated.

for a bigger tank... really, look into a standard aquarium light, something long, with feet or legs that attach to the sides of your aquarium. or something that will physically clip onto the tank itself.

• Haha
Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Sorry, the Pixar part really got me :)

Yeah, but my cats dont jump around my tanks! If they would, they would be dead by now ;)

I think it depends on light bulb, the heat, this one produces almost no heat.

Wait, lemme look for a link on eBay. I was just looking at HOBs but was interupted :)

Also, I will see how its gonna look without water spangles, but I have been already looking for some RGB light. Saw some good cheapies.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I'm a fan of the Chihiros RGB Vivid 2.

for something over a couple of gallons, try going with something specific to an aquarium, and designed to be mounted on one.
That light looks cool... but I suppose its very expensive?

I thought about something like that but longer:

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I wanna say that's likely a bit underpowered (or a lot) and just not quite long enough.

unless you want to DIY something, or make wider legs, I would keep looking.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Just remember I can have expensive tastes, and there may be errors as I convert imperial to metric measurements and then back again.

(Get with the program USA!!!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store