Big Black rocks for Aquascaping, what to use?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
I'd like to have a bit more hardscape in my aquarium, and I want some big black rocks to help fill it in. What type of rocks do you recommend, and where can I find them or buy them? I'm hoping there are cheap ways to find aquarium safe rocks without necessarily going to an aquarium store.

Also recommend any type of black/dark grey aquascaping rocks... river rocks, big rocks, etc. I'm always looking for new ideas!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I got all my rocks from outside I never bought any. Just make sure to clean them properly before entering them into your tank. Also I believe if you put vinegar on them and they start to fizz then they will raise your PH levels.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Too bad you're on the wrong coast! Right around the corner from me is a spot where a truckload of black shale got dumped. I have several pieces that are cube shaped in sizes from 8"to 12", plus some slabs 4"thick that are over 100lbs each. And there is still a ton (several tons actually) left. Pieces range from hand sized to ones you'd need a backhoe for. Slate and shale are the normal black rocks unless you like it shiny then obsidian is the way to go. Try a landscape supply place or a quarry in your area. Buying in an LFS you'll be paying $2 lb which is insane.

Last edited:

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Yeah, try landscaping supply places. Yes, ger1023, if you put the rock in vinegar (or drop vinegar on it if it's a large one) and it fizzes/bubbles, it will raise the pH.

I've gotten most of my rocks from my yard.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Too bad you're on the wrong coast! Right around the corner from me is a spot where a truckload of black shale got dumped. I have several pieces that are cube shaped in sizes from 8"to 12", plus some slabs 4"thick that are over 100lbs each. And there is still a ton (several tons actually) left. Pieces range from hand sized to ones you'd need a backhoe for. Slate and shale are the normal black rocks unless you like it shiny then obsidian is the way to go. Try a landscape supply place or a quarry in your area. Buying in an LFS you'll be paying $2 lb which is insane.
I would worry about the shale. In my area (Long Beach CA) I cant use it because of the oil content. I do find a lot of fossils in it though.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Another example of Cali's screwed up geology! No oil slicks in my tanks so far!

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
There are some dark granites as well. Don't worry too much about the acid test; limestones and other carbonates are harmless unless you are going for a softwater setup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store