Big cucumber sifting sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
I got
1 foot long sea cucumber from my marine science class for my newly set up 220 thinking he would eat detritus. It seems like he is but he also eats a lot of sand with it. Any chance he's destroying my live sandbed?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
No, it shouldn't be a problem. They mostly just eat the films that are on the sand grains, not the animals in it. While they are among the most desirable animals to have for the purpose of gently stirring things, they also easily starve. Being a 1 ft long individual, I'd be more concerned about it starving, so keep an eye out for it shrinking.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I would prefer to add cucumbers in well matured tank as new set up probably cant provide enough food sources.

They can stretch & contract and they can stetch quite a bit.
If memory serves, not all will do well just on detritus.

You should actually be able to see trail of ---- behind certain cucumbers.

Pics?

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
He's been eating pretty well so far off whatevers in the tank. He leaves a 1/2 inch dia "rope" of poo where're he goes. Is there anything I could supplement his diet with, I'd love to keep him but if I think he's starving I'll take him back to his old tank.

Definitely one of my new favorite critters, he's squeezed behind a rock right now but I'll get a pic soon

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
1/2"??? All of mine left lot thinner trails. Even with trails, it does not mean it is getting proper and/or enough food.
Try culturing phyto to promote microfauna growth in culturing tank (preferred) OR add small amt of phyto to main tank for little while.

Looking forward to pics of it as well as your tank.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Gorgeous animal and Chunky!! & Yummy:grinno:

Although familiar with the species but never kept them personally. Most of mine originated from I-P ocean.

I believe this is Isostichopus badionotus, commonly known as chocolate chip cucumber from Atlantic.

Perhaps train my boys for deeping water free diving next summer to collect local specimen, if any.

Good Luck!

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
Thank you :D

I think at some point I'll put him in my 46 gallon tank, it's well established and very "dirty". Not for too long though

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Thank you :D

I think at some point I'll put him in my 46 gallon tank, it's well established and very "dirty". Not for too long though

Since it is well adjusted to new environment, I would leave it be as long as you add fish food to the tank.

Believe it or not, live cucumbers/abalones/oysters , etc etc are avail at much lower $ around here (markets, not lfs) which I have tried to keep in my tanks with great success many yrs ago.. ;)

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
Ok. His tank has been up and running for several months now, his only tankmate is a watchman goby. Iv got Christmas money to spend on more though :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store