Big Planted tank research

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

green_valley

AC Members
Sep 14, 2011
Hello everyone,

More than a month ago, I wanted to have a fish tank and I bought one. It's about 140G tank (72"x25"x18" dimension). I also have purchased 2 canister filters for it. As I was doing a research on water cycling for a fish tank, I came across this beautiful Planted tank on youtube. Ever since then, my research was focus more to the planted tank. I have been doing a lot of research including reading articles, watching videos, analyzing people's threat on forums, etc.

I would like to have the high-tech Planted tank. My idea is to have an Iwagumi style (rocks and green carpet with hills). After doing a lot of research on HOW-TO, I believe my last research would be "financial".

So here are my questions:

1) How much does it cost for the CO2 system for this big tank?
2) How much does it cost for the soil?
3) How much plant do I need to cover as carpet? and cost?
4) How much lights does it need? Some info I read 3Watt per gallon?
5) Is it too big for me to do the project as I am a newbie?

Your opinion and suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeff

green_valley

AC Members
Sep 14, 2011
My honest opinion? Going high-tech (lots of light, Co2, ferts) is going to cause a lot of head ache if this is your very first tank.

I would start small.
Thank you for your reply jpappy. That's what I thought too, may be I should practice with a smaller thank. But on the other hand, something tells me, just try it on the big tank.

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
I wouldn't start with a smaller tank, the swings are greater in a smaller water volume than a larger tank.
(not to say anything smaller then yours is too small, quite opposite since yours is huge)

I would get your tank up and running, get some easy plants that don't require the hi-tech approach and don't require you adding trace elements and what not. Once you build your skills up and on regular water changes, how not to over feed, and the basics, then you can start building on to that.

Patience is your friend in this hobby, otherwise you could end up battling some nasty algae and get discouraged....but guess we've all been there.

just my .02

edit in red

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
More than likely you will decide to go with HC (dwarf baby tears) do some research into "Dry Starts".
The lighting can be done for maybe 200.
The substrate (read up on dirting) maybe 50$
Co2 200$

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
I'd start with a ten gallon or something for practice. (just use maybe some ghost shrimp as testers) and figure out how badly you really want to go high tech lol. Then, maybe start low light in the 140 and see what you can do with that. (I have low light planted... Not exactly amano lol, but it's fairly dense.) And you can save a whole load of cash by buying regular old potting soil (make sure there's no nasties in it like fertilizers) it does just as good a job as the other plant soils for about 2/3 the cost. :)

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Jeff-
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your tank. You're off to a great start already. Asking questions and moving forward slowly, will serve you well in this hobby.

I too fell in love with the planted tanks I saw on this forum and elsewhere, and have always thought the Iwagumi style looks surreal. However, most of the Iwagumi style tanks I've seen tend to be smaller, and I had a space for a 72" tank in the house. I fell into a great deal on a 125g, so I went with a more traditional planted tank and love it.

So, while I may not be able to exactly answer your specific questions, I have been through the start up on a "high tech" tank, so I'll offer you my $0.02 worth on the topics I know.

And let me preface by saying that saving money was not my priority. I always looked for a good deal, but other factors such as time, convenience, ease of use, ready to use, etc. were more important to me. I'm 100% sure you can do it way cheaper than the route I took. So with that said...

1. CO2 systems - I purchased a near-complete CO2 system from a well-known and great dealer on-line. I didn't go completely top of the line, but I did add a pH control meter. If I'm honest, I bet it was around $400-500 once I included CO2 and the diffuser. CO2 for my tank is about $25 every 6 weeks, and I'm sure I'll have to replace the pH probe every 12-18 months (another $100-150 or so/year).

2. Soil - I personally used 8 bags of Eco complete at around $20/bag. Again, there are much cheaper options available.

3. Plants - My tank's got about $100 of plants in it.

4. Lights - I know the guys who do carpet tank style run very high output lights. Everything I read about standard planted tanks says the 3 watt/gallon rule does not apply to high-performance T5 lights nor is it appropriate to use as the tank gets bigger. I have a 4 x 80W T5 HO system I purchased online as a DIY kit to put in my hood. I think it was around $400.

5. Is it too big? Only you know the answer. It it do-able. This is not brain surgery. Break it down into bite size chunks. Decide on lights, then substrate, the CO2, ferts, fish, plants, etc. An Iwagumi style in a tank this size may be too much, but in my opinion, a planted tank isn't.

Good luck. Here's a shot of my tank to give you an idea where I'm at after about 6 months up and running...

01-8-31-11.JPG

01-8-31-11.JPG

jgulecas

AC Members
Oct 18, 2006
My only advice is that you take your time to do your research and make sure you buy what you want the FIRST TIME. Pressurized CO2 with quality gear, good lighting (check out AH Supply). Use dry ferts from the get go- don't screw around with Flourish.

My substrate is 100% flourite. In retrospect, I would have used something different.

Nothing is worse than buying something, figuring out it wasn't what you needed, replacing it and storing it in your garage. You are not allowed to see my garage!

Look on Craigslist for deals.

With a big tank, don't even think about using anything but tap water (suitably decloraminated) for water changes. RO is just too much work.

Last edited:

green_valley

AC Members
Sep 14, 2011
I wouldn't start with a smaller tank, the swings are greater in a smaller water volume than a larger tank.
(not to say anything smaller then yours is too small, quite opposite since yours is huge)

I would get your tank up and running, get some easy plants that don't require the hi-tech approach and don't require you adding trace elements and what not. Once you build your skills up and on regular water changes, how not to over feed, and the basics, then you can start building on to that.

Patience is your friend in this hobby, otherwise you could end up battling some nasty algae and get discouraged....but guess we've all been there.

just my .02

edit in red
Thank you for your suggestion. Don't you think that it would be a hassle to have some low tech and then convert it to high tech on this big tank????

More than likely you will decide to go with HC (dwarf baby tears) do some research into "Dry Starts".
The lighting can be done for maybe 200.
The substrate (read up on dirting) maybe 50$
Co2 200$
Yeah, I love the way they (HC) look. I believe I did a little research about "dry starts", it's where you don't want your HC floating around because you fill up the tank too soon, correct? Any link about "Dirting"? also CO2 for $200, is that full system CO2?

THank you

I'd start with a ten gallon or something for practice. (just use maybe some ghost shrimp as testers) and figure out how badly you really want to go high tech lol. Then, maybe start low light in the 140 and see what you can do with that. (I have low light planted... Not exactly amano lol, but it's fairly dense.) And you can save a whole load of cash by buying regular old potting soil (make sure there's no nasties in it like fertilizers) it does just as good a job as the other plant soils for about 2/3 the cost. :)
Actually, at the moment I do have a 10 gallon low tech planted tank. But I just feel like I can do it on the big tank, but not 100% sure and still doing lot of research.

Below is my response in BOLD.

1. CO2 systems - I purchased a near-complete CO2 system from a well-known and great dealer on-line. I didn't go completely top of the line, but I did add a pH control meter. If I'm honest, I bet it was around $400-500 once I included CO2 and the diffuser. CO2 for my tank is about $25 every 6 weeks, and I'm sure I'll have to replace the pH probe every 12-18 months (another $100-150 or so/year).

WOW, $500 for a near complete system. Does it come with Bubble coutner, Diffuser, etc? I have been looking at ADA system (Advance system) for $269. But I am not too sure if that's only for a smaller tank. I am also still doing research about CO2 consumption for certain tank size.

2. Soil - I personally used 8 bags of Eco complete at around $20/bag. Again, there are much cheaper options available.

So you have 8 bags for the 125G? How thick was it once you lay them out?

3. Plants - My tank's got about $100 of plants in it.

ok

4. Lights - I know the guys who do carpet tank style run very high output lights. Everything I read about standard planted tanks says the 3 watt/gallon rule does not apply to high-performance T5 lights nor is it appropriate to use as the tank gets bigger. I have a 4 x 80W T5 HO system I purchased online as a DIY kit to put in my hood. I think it was around $400.

That's very informative, I am glad to know about the 3WPG doesn't apply.

5. Is it too big? Only you know the answer. It it do-able. This is not brain surgery. Break it down into bite size chunks. Decide on lights, then substrate, the CO2, ferts, fish, plants, etc. An Iwagumi style in a tank this size may be too much, but in my opinion, a planted tank isn't.

THank you for the advice and I will consider the Palnted Tank. However, the Iwagumi style is really fascinating to me. First I thougth I was going to try low tech, with Riccia Fluitans as the carpet as it doesnt really need CO2 and low light). But I have seen some problem with this plant as it is a floating plants.

Good luck. Here's a shot of my tank to give you an idea where I'm at after about 6 months up and running...

View attachment 183846
Thank you thank you thank you

My only advice is that you take your time to do your research and make sure you buy what you want the FIRST TIME. Pressurized CO2 with quality gear, good lighting (check out AH Supply). Use dry ferts from the get go- don't screw around with Flourish.

My substrate is 100% flourite. In retrospect, I would have used something different.

Nothing is worse than buying something, figuring out it wasn't what you needed, replacing it and storing it in your garage. You are not allowed to see my garage!

Look on Craigslist for deals.

With a big tank, don't even think about using anything but tap water (suitably decloraminated) for water changes. RO is just too much work.
Yes, I will take my time to research for this project, and I agreed with you about buying things that I don't want. Any link about DRY FERT and not flourish?? My research hasn't gone as far as water changes yet. SO tap water for water change?

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
The biggest hassle of going low to hi tech will be swapping out the gravel.

Now, I see you already have a small 10g tank, I was under the impression that this was your FIRST tank. Not implying that you are an old salt (not sure what the FW term for that is), but you may have the general tank maintenance down.

But I do think Iwugami is do able in a large tank, specially with a large school of tetras look awesome, check out Amano's Nature Aquarium World #3 for his larger creations, he has a few in there with that look. That being said, I wouldn't expect a Amano quality tank your first go at it. He's studied nature his whole life and has an army of employees to watch his creations and manicure the aquascapes. In fact there is a photo series in that book with 4 or so photos showing how unmaintained glosso will overtake everything.

Money wise, it'll be pricey, at least too rich for my meager income. from the bags of eco-complete/fluval/flourite soil, lighting (ton of t5's or MH) to reach down to the bottom (6-8+w per gallon unless you want your carpet to be thin and growing upwards, dwarf sag might be a better option given the size of the tank and scale, price, & light requirements, compared to glosso or HC) and the size of the rocks/wood/petrified wood that won't look small in a 140g tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store