Big Problem With Eco-Complete

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquabum

Always B itchin
Nov 27, 2004
I don't even know how to describe this. I'm very new to this substrate and I'm going nuts trying to figure out what went wrong.

I hope that someone can help me figure this out. Here we go:

I bought 2 bags of Eco-Complete for my 29 gallon planted tank about a week ago. I read that this substrate does not alter the ph or the gh, but, unfortunately, for some reason, the ph in my tank has gone through the roof. However the gh is the same, about 4. The ph in my tank with the old substrate, was 6.6 with a kh of 3 to 4 and co2 levels were (diy (1) 2 litre bottle) 20-25 ppm depending on the baking soda I added to the tank (I carefully measure this). The ph from the tap is 6.6 and kh is 0. I tested it this morning by letting the water settle overnight, it's still 6.6 and kh is 0. Keeping the kh at 3 or 4 with baking soda always gave me a steady reading of 6.6 to 6.8 with co2 and the plants grew very well with hardly any algae. I've been doing this for a couple of months now and nothing has ever changed.

When I changed the substrate to Eco-Complete, my ph was going nuts. Last week I tested it and was surprised to discover that before the diy co2 the ph was at 7.2 and the kh was at 6 .:eek: I knew something was wrong. I tested it again, still the same results. I did a 20% water change for 2 days and the kh went down to 4, and the ph was at 7.0, still too high with co2.

This morning I tested the water (did a 5 gallon water change yesterday afternoon), and the ph is at 6.8 hovering to 7.0, and the kh is 8. :eek: Now I have (2) 2 litre bottles of diy co2. I think that without the co2, the ph will probably rise to more than 7.4. :eek: I'm afraid to let the co2 diminish. I want to keep my fish at a ph of 6.6, that has always been my target ph. Won't this affect my fish? I don't want my fish to die. I'm totally confused.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone adding Eco-Complete? How can it claim that it won't raise the ph when it's doing it in my tank? Should I do more water changes? Please help.

Lissette

P.S. I have not added anymore baking soda since I discovered that my ph is out of whack. At this rate my co2 levels is over 38 ppm :eek:

w9nwr

AC Members
Jan 19, 2005
Same problem

I have added 80 lbs to a 55 Gal FW and the same thing occurred. Ph went from 7.0 to 7.6. That in itself is not so much of a "big" problem, but why did it occur when the product indicated that it would not.
The first additon of 40 lbs the Ph changed but then a few days later it dropped to 7.2. So far after the addition of the second 40 lbs it has not dropped, a 3 day wait. will continute to check.
I have E-mailed CaribSea about this problem, so far no reponse. Been about 4 days.
On the positive side, a vendor that I have ordered some plants from indicates that the stuff is just great.
Sorry I can not tell you how to cure the problem but thought I would at least share my expericance with the product.

Chuck

Aquabum

Always B itchin
Nov 27, 2004
Thanks w9nwr, for sharing your experience with me.

At least I know that I'm not going crazy.

I'm hoping I can do something to remedy the problem and soon. I just found 3 dead fish in my tank. I'm very upset about it. I also found my glow fish with white patches on its skin. I have removed him from my tank and into a 5 gal. I know it must be stress. :(

I hope that CaribSea will answer your e-mail and give you an explanation as to what is happening. If I had known this stuff was going to alter my ph, I would never have bought it.

Lissette:sad

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
That's kind of strange. I have eco in my tank and it has no effect on pH or KH at all. How about getting a handful of the substrate and put it in a gallon of tap water. Check the pH/KH straight away and then check again after 24 hours. If the parameters change then I would be inclined to agree that the eco is the cause.

Aquabum

Always B itchin
Nov 27, 2004
Thanks reiverix.

Now that's a great idea. I'll do that right now and check it tomorrow. I'll post my results as soon as I get them.

Lissette ;)

Edit: I'm going to check for the first reading immediately.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Let's make this a controlled experiment, or at least a little more controlled.

Along with the water and EC, also have one with just water and one with water and your old substrate.

From what I read in your initial post, my first reaction was that perhaps your old substrate or filter has/had bicarbonate/carbonate in it from the baking soda. Just as it can dissolve it can crystallize under the right/wrong conditions. Try giving your filter media a good rinsing in dechlorinated water.

It may also be a good idea to reduce the frequency of your water changes (never, never thought I'd hear myself say that!) to a more weekly regimen at least until we can put our fingers on what's going on. I suspect that your fish are stressed from the constant changing, perhaps by reducing the frequency we can find a more stable equilibrium.

Aquabum

Always B itchin
Nov 27, 2004
happychem,

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same thing about my old substrate. I placed a handful of it in the back of the tank and the eco-complete on top of it. At this point, the gravel might be a bit mixed in with the eco-complete. I also added the old mulm from the 20 gal. to cycle my tank and was wondering if that has something to do with it too.

Should I still try and take out the old gravel from the back? I've planted this area, that's why I ask. I will dechlorinate some water and rinse the filter media in it and I'll test if there are any changes. I took out some water yesterday in the afternoon and left it overnight and this morning the ph was 6.6 and kh was 0; as expected. My tap water has always been the same since I started this hobby nearly a year ago.

I wish that I had saved my old substrate, but, unfortunately, I threw it all out. The only thing left is a handful in the tank, just like I mentioned.

Thanks a lot guys. I will keep you posted.

Lissette ;)

P.S. I forgot to mention that while you were posting, I was doing a water change and I didn't catch you on time to stop myself from doing it. Sorry. I wish that I was there to catch your advice on time. The ph in my tank right now is still 6.8 (with co2) and kh has dropped to 6 from 8. So far the fish seem to be doing fine (cross fingers).

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
happychem said:
It may also be a good idea to reduce the frequency of your water changes (never, never thought I'd hear myself say that!) to a more weekly regimen at least until we can put our fingers on what's going on.
Ah! AAAAHHHHH! Heck is freezing over!!! :D

Aquabum

Always B itchin
Nov 27, 2004
Water Chemistry Changing

I'm letting a handful of eco-complete settle in a big pot with tap water since my last post. I also tested the water a few minutes later. Here were the results:
ph: 6.6, kh: 0.

I also did another test. I took a glass tube and placed tap water in it to test for the ph. What I also did was add a few grains of clean totally rinsed (tap) eco gravel in the tube and shook the tube. The results were: ph: 6.6, kh: 0. I kept this tube on my kitchen counter just to see if there were any changes overnight. A little while ago as I was getting something from the kitchen, I happen to notice a change of color in the glass tube with the eco. I picked it up and saw from the grains little streaks of blue wafting in the water when I picked it up.

I decided to check the pot with the tap water and eco again. The ph is 6.8 and the kh is 1. It hasn't even been 12 hours and the chemistry in the water is changing. I'm more convinced than ever that the eco-complete is the culprit. I'm willing to test again tomorrow, but I suspect that it will rise again overnight.

Just wanted to keep you informed like I promised. It's very depressing to see unexpected changes in a new tank.

I'll post again tomorrow to let you know the final results.

Lissette :(

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Wow I'm puzzled at that. Now, if the eco-complete is the cause, might I suggest that after the experiment duration, you keep the stuff in the glass tube, rinse it out good and then do the experiment again. This would be a good way to test if it stabilizes and stops altering the water chemistry.

Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store