Big tank water changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cat

AC Members
Aug 3, 2004
Norfolk
Visit site
Just had a thought y'know, here I am setting up my big tank and Im reckoning 25% water chages a week when it occured to me how am I gonna put fresh water in. Syphoning it is no prob, I'll use my gravel vac with the end going straight out into the garden, but how am I going to put that much water back in, Im not buggering around with buckets I will be there for a whole day and I dont think I have the strength. My garden hose will reach but some how I dont think thats a great idea!
What other options are there? can I put some sort of attachment on my hose to filter the water????

mrkeeg

AC Members
Aug 29, 2003
Alberta
Visit site
Hi Cat,

I siphon it right out my window too.

For adding water, I bought a 25 gallon rubbermaid-style container where I let my water cure and warm to room temp (I fill it where it sits in front of my tank, right from the garden hose.) From there I pump it into my big tank with a small submersible pump (the sort used for little water fountains and stuff). This way I can cure a decent amount of water at a time, I never have to cary a single bucket anywhere, and the water is added to the tank gently over a period of time. (in fact, I direct the incoming flow right over the heater, to help lessen the temp difference)

Just a thought

Keegan

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
You can get a 25ft length or better of vinyl tubing at home depot/lowes, get the right sized connections for it, and you'll be able to hook it right up to your sink like a python does all for under I'd say $15, and it makes things much less of a headache. You can also get the right connectors so you could add more tubing to it if you wanted.

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
NatakuTseng said:
You can get a 25ft length or better of vinyl tubing at home depot/lowes, get the right sized connections for it, and you'll be able to hook it right up to your sink like a python does all for under I'd say $15, and it makes things much less of a headache. You can also get the right connectors so you could add more tubing to it if you wanted.
Or you could get a Python, and not have to worry about the plumbing issues. :)

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
i used to use a garden hose with no problems, but i used the hose exclusively for my tank and it was basically new. i also flushed it every time i used it, let the water run for a bit while you adjust the temperature, etc...... the only problem i could see there is way down the road when the hose actually degrades....

or get a python

www.bigalsonline.com

Last edited:

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Don't waste money on a python.

Go to Home Depot. Get the clear Food and Beverage hose. 25 ft is about 6$. They make small metal adaptors for your faucet that allow you to connect the hose to it (about 1$). You just have to know what size your faucet is, or bring in the end piece and ask them to size it for you. There are small metal ring clamps that you screw to tighten. Voila tee dah. Python. Syphon tank water out. I stick the end in the tub. Take 20 seconds to attach to the sink and your'e good to go. I can do a 50% water change on my 55g in about 5 minutes all told.

Last edited:

coolwade

Experienced Novice
Sep 24, 2003
Brisbane
www.users.tpg.com.au
: Leopardess

I totally agree with you. I brought 30 ft of Silicon tubing (Same as F & B tubing?) and attached to my $5 siphon. Siphon out water into garden (Tomatoes are going well!).

I then attach to sink (after adjusting temp.) and then, bob's your uncle. Takes me about 5 min to do a 50% water change. I add small amounts of chemicals as I go. Never had a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store