Binning it for the summer!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I don't ever bring them in the house, I can't seem to acclimate any of the plants to the low light. I tried the parrot's feather once and it did ok, not great. I just put it straight in the tank (was empty except for pest snails). I didn't see anything at all...was kind of hoping for a dragonfly nymph, they are kind of neato.

When I've put them in my outdoor water features (whiskey barrel one year, 55 gallon another year, and one year I really went crazy and converted a repurposed 10'x10' quick set pool into a pond!) I haven't noticed anything unusual either, of course we're all in bug heaven here in Florida ;)

Last edited:

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
There's an article about "summer tubbin'" by Ted Coletti in the June issue of TFH. This is what he has to say:

"Because many pond plants carry the tiny carnivorous hydra and planaria worms, I like to disinfect newly acquired plants in a 48 hour treatment of praziquantel water additive, which will not hurt crustaceans like shrimp and daphnia. ..... About a week before I introduce my fish, I do a 100% water change (trying to save as much of the daphnia as possible in the process), then another praziquantel treatment, and then introduce my fish."

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Ted is a good guy, I should call him and ask him if its really necessary, lol.

here is a (bad) pic of the minnows I like to breed in the tub
minnow 2.jpg

minnow 2.jpg

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I definitely need to get some from you when they do breed. My white clouds (down to six from a dozen a couple of years ago...) look pretty boring compared to those sexy fellas!

The way I see it, sending Florida plants up north can't hurt...it's sending northern plants to Florida that would be bad :eek:

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Southern plants moving north is happening whether we help it along or not: climate change. NYT had a good piece the other day about what Chicago is doing, everything from repaving alleys with water-permeable bricks (to reduce wastewater runoff) to changing the list of trees they plant on streets and in parks. National Park Service is working on creating corridors for things, both plant and animal, to migrate as things warm.

of course those of us who already live in kudzu and armadillo territory find this a mixed blessing.. :)

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I, for one, welcome my kudzu overlords.

Tubs and fish look great!!! I want to try tubbing some day.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
re the raccoons, they are (at least here) fearless, and so far up the food chain that they can afford to be curious and go check out that new sushi bar you have. altho minnows are probably beneath their notice

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I've never heard of using prazi to kill planaria and hydra. I've had alot of success with fendbendazole though.

I have 7 small tubs set up outside this year and I think one of the most important things is to have fish stocked that will eat that kind of stuff so it's a nonissue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store