Bio-Load for 29 gal Tall

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Hello All,
My heavily planted tank currently contains 6 rummynose tetra, 8 pencilfish, and two other 1" long inhabitants
(a cloudfish and a harlequin rasbora). I would like to add 6 ember tetras, hopefully enough so that they would school together, but I'm not sure if this might be too great a bioload. At present the water is crystal clear with no algae problems. I recently installed a Penn-Plax Cascade cannister filter and it is doing a terrific job.
Thanks.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Do you mean a whitecloud mountain minnow (Tanichthys albonubes)? You may want to donate it & the harly to you lfs, unless they're very old. I don't see a problem with adding embers...but I have to ask...what, no bottom feeders?!? OK, that's my "thing".

How often & how much water do you change? What are your nitrate etc, levels. That is a good way to tell if your "bioload" is ok, not "clear water" (you know that, you've been here a long time, lol). As for swimming room & compatibility, I'd probably add more that 6 embers, they quite small...maybe 8 or 10 & call your tank stocked.

Of course we'd like to see pics if you can...

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Yes, it's a whitecloud mountain minnow, about two years old. The harly is six or more. Water levels are: P=2, N=10; I change out 50% every two weeks and do a filter rinse. Actually, I had thought that clear water was a good indicator of a healthy tank.
I take it you recommend bottom feeders?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, it's a whitecloud mountain minnow, about two years old. The harly is six or more. Water levels are: P=2, N=10; I change out 50% every two weeks and do a filter rinse. Actually, I had thought that clear water was a good indicator of a healthy tank.
I take it you recommend bottom feeders?
Of course, being a bottom feeder lover, I think you need them, lol...sigh, but you might not...& that's ok...it's your tank, but shrimp, dwarf corys, kulhi loaches, ya know, cool fish! But you can add embers if you want...but not much more in a 29g...it's all about the surface area...to fish ratio...how can you not want bottom critters?...OK, that's my rant, sorry...get some embers, a bunch is good!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Does fishorama recommend bottom dwellers!? Always! Loaches in particular. ;) Bottom dwellers are nice cause they give activity to that area and they help keep stuff stirred up. I am always a fan of bottom dwellers also. But to each their own! They certainly aren't required and you should do what you like to look at.

I think adding 10 ember tetras still gives you a little stocking room even, since it is heavily planted. And I definitely suggest 10 or more embers. They are small with an equally small bio-load and really like being in a decent size group. And they will look better the happier they are.

BTW rummynoses and embers are my favorite schooling fish!

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Yes, the rummynoses are a great fish. I have had six for several years now and they are just great to watch, back and forth and back and forth in a group right up in front.
Well, I've made up my mind. It will be 8 to 10 embers once I can find some. Thanks for the replies.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
If you do mail order.... I always like MsJinkzd, she is a member here and a long time seller. Stocklist She has 8 in stock atm. Bobs tropical Plants is in CA though and he has good stuff too, also a member here. Bobs Good luck! (*whispers* go for 10+, you won't regret it ;) )

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, go for more embers! I was thinking a 20g long (same footprint as a 29g) when I said 8-10, get more...12-15!. & still, give a thought to bottom fish, Jen is right, I ALWAYS suggest them! She knows me, lol. Rosy loaches might be awesome! Cherry shrimp...live food as babies! Fun for all!...but later, get a bunch of embers, that's what you want.

Do you make it into SF, Albany, or SJ? It might be worth a day trip to Aqua Forest or Ocean (SF), Albany Aquarium or Neptunes (SJ). You can call ahead & see if they have embers in stock (Albany QTs!) & how many they may have.

On a side note, I belong to SFBAAPS, an awesome aquatic plant club...You're pretty close, think about joining (but you have to use your real name!). Just a thought...we meet at various Bay area venues on a rotating basis, including members homes (hence the real names), AFA & Neptunes. parks etc.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
I've been to all those except Neptunes. My favorite would have to be Justin and Ocean Aquarium. I did call Aquaforest today and they should have embers next week. Will also check out myswtsins suggestions.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
I think stock level is very subjective and is based on many variables. If you're shooting for a nearly natural habitat, you want to try and match the bio-load to the plant mass so the organic nutrients feed the plants that purify the water (with little or no chemical ferts). Then the frequency/volume of water changes is adjusted for balance. You're currently doing a 50% water change every other week. If you add fish, you might want to do 25-50% every week (or much less).... Let nitrates and your plants show you the way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store