Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Bio wheel interfere with CO2?

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by Fresh04, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Fresh04

Fresh04 Go M's!!!!!

Mar 15, 2016
    Just a quick question. Does running a bio-wheel qualify as "surface disturbance?" Does anybody run this in a planted tank without having to run CO2 injection, etc? That is basically the only surface disturbance I have, and was just curious if this causes loss of CO2 in the tank.

2. Aquarius0015

Aquarius0015 AC Members

Sep 29, 2006
    Yes and yes. But I have started dosing with F. Excel lately and have noticed improvements.

3. Fresh04

Fresh04 Go M's!!!!!

Mar 15, 2016
    I dose Flourish Excel every-other day. Are you dosing daily?

4. emoore

emoore AC Members

Mar 15, 2006
    If you dose with flourish excel, surface disturbance is not much of an issue since you are not putting CO2 into the water. I would NOT recommend a bio-wheel with CO2 injection. You will loose a lot of CO2 with a bio-wheel. I used to have to inject about 5 times as much CO2 when I had a bio-wheel.

5. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Looking for ideas

Oct 25, 2016
    I have been dosing Excel every other day for about a month. Not sure what it is doing though because I have used it since set up.

6. Fresh04

Fresh04 Go M's!!!!!

Mar 15, 2016
    So would you recommend that I eliminate the bio wheel? I don't plan on doing injections if its not feasible. Its a biowheel 30 on a 36 gallon tank.

7. emoore

emoore AC Members

Mar 15, 2006
    With a 36 gallon, dosing with Flourish Excel can get pretty expensive in the long run. I would suggest you try DIY CO2 or a pressurized system. I would then get rid of the bio-wheel.

If you are going to stay with the Flourish, you can probably keep the bio-wheel.

8. jread

jread The Dwarf Puffer Guy

Mar 7, 2005
    I was using a Bio Wheel on my 10-gallon planted tank but have since removed it. I cut a piece of foam to fit the outflow of my power filter and now there is no surface disturbance at ALL.

Dosing with Flourish Excel at the moment but I just got a 5lb CO2 tank that I'm getting ready to setup :D

I'd also like to change to one of those small, Eheim "Ecco" canister filters. I think that the smallest one would do fine on a 10-gallon :)

9. Fresh04

Fresh04 Go M's!!!!!

Mar 15, 2016
    I'm thinking about a filter change. Right now I'm running a magnum 350. It's a bit of a hassle to clean, etc. So I'm thinking of a power filter. Any recommendation from fellow planters on whats good? I always hear aquaclear, but I really like Marinelands products. Just wondering what you all use and like. Thanks!

10. emoore

emoore AC Members

Mar 15, 2006
    I have switched to all canister filters on my planted tanks. I have a fluval 204 on my 20 gallon and a filstar XP3 on my 55. I like the filstar (even though it is hard to get started). It it designed really well. My next filter will be an eheim canister.