Biocube 14g Discussion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lord of Jank

AC Members
Jul 20, 2008
Chicagoland
So, I picked up a 14g Biocube over the weekend. I know they are more geared toward Saltwater but I think it is going to make a GREAT dwarf puffer tank as well.

I have doing some reading about mods people have done to their theirs but my question is more about the pump. Currently it is a 137gph pump which seems to be very fast for a freshwater tank (aka saltwater speed) and not sure if I should replace the pump. I found a different nozzle for the tank which allowed me to displace the water flow and slowed it down a little.

Thoughts? I want to make this thing a planted tank as well and just not sure about that water flow.

Lord of Jank

AC Members
Jul 20, 2008
Chicagoland
Just a quick update I picked up a 60gph fully submersible water pump for $15. It was for creating waterfalls or some nonsense but it seems to be working well in the Biocube. Still a good amount of water flow but nothing neck breaking for fish!

Ghostkid

AC Members
Mar 18, 2008
Indy
I picked up a used Bg14 a couple of weeks ago, It was for saltwater, but I've cleaned it out. I was wondering about the pump situation too. Thanks for the tip. So, I had to remove the first chamber (intake) to get it cleaned out. I was going to put a heater there and use the middle chamber for all my filtration. Just not sure how to mod it and what to stick in there. Any Ideas?

Lord of Jank

AC Members
Jul 20, 2008
Chicagoland
1st Chamber: I broke the intake cover to make more room to stick my heater in there too. Works great. I bought a Fluval Filter pack and those work great for covering the bottom intake and keeping critters out.

2nd Chamber: I keep the stock Bio-Balls in there and those seem to be working well.

3rd Chamber: I am still on the fence right now about the pump. I think the 137gph is to fast as it is but the 60gph just seems to slow. I can't find a good inbetween pump that is adjustable.

Ghostkid

AC Members
Mar 18, 2008
Indy
I've heard of people using ball valves to control the flow. I might use the AC bio in the 2nd chamber and use eggrate to make a ledge for filter floss.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store