BioCube 29 Mod Suggestions and help please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
i took my hood off i use a 150wat sunpod lol, i have to have the fan on to keep it below 81 or the heat of buffalo and the sunpod together will burn the water. with the hood on though that sucker had to be proped up with something and a fan going becuase the hood fans are wack as hell

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
i took my hood off i use a 150wat sunpod lol, i have to have the fan on to keep it below 81 or the heat of buffalo and the sunpod together will burn the water. with the hood on though that sucker had to be proped up with something and a fan going becuase the hood fans are wack as hell
Ok never mind, I ran mine stock. LOL. I can see where you'd probably need a chiller then!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
yea lol

i wish i could get aces opp on this mod idea least for the pump and LR rubble

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
For the return pump you should get a maxijet 1200. Just for the return. You can then use your stock pump to run the chiller line. As for Koralia I would get another one (maybe a no.1). They really help. Wish I could recommend an MP10 but I don't have one yet; but have heard good things.

The liverock rubble is totally up to you. I put about three pounds in my back area. Not sure if it helps, but it is there. But you should definitaley remove the bioballs. They are great for freshwater, but are nitrate producing demons in a saltwater tank. Sounds like a great upgrade.

As for the amount of liverock, are you going to add more? Bigger tank needs more liverock. Figure about 1lb per gross volume (approximate).

The clam you got looks like a maxima. It really needs to be on the rock higher in the tank so that it can (1) get some protection from predators; (2) soak up as much light as possible. Maxima and Crocea are the most light demanding clams there are so keep that in mind. I have my maxima about 4" from the surface under the MH light and it is doing very well. Good luck with the new tank. Should be a fun time.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Thanks man, a maxijet 1200 is what i will get then and thanks for the chiller pump idea i didnt even know it needed one..

it should be about two weeks before i get it up and running,
btw when i do have the water and stuff in the tank and all the new live rock, how long should i wait before i transer almost everything over?

im leaving the one huge boulder live rock in my 14 gallon bio cube and buying a pair of harlequin shrimp for it, becuase they are my favorite.

thereef

So many tanks so little time
Untill you have no ammonia. Then acclimate as you would normaly. Use at least 1lb per gallon of Liverock if not more. You can use the ball just have to clean every year in saltwater. That usually will eliminate the nitrate trap. Keep in mind that all your biological is happening with the rock and sand bed. So on that note they are not needed.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Just depends on your test results. Expect a little cycle if you are adding new rock (but makes ure it is cured). ONce you have no ammonia and some nitrate is showing then you will know you have cycled. If you are using some sand from your existing tank and some live rock from there as well, I wouldn't image you will have much of a cycle. I didn't have one at all because I was using a lot of cured live rock. In fact I have never shown nitrite or ammonia, but I do have nitrate. Just stock it slow and wait for the inevitable cyano and diatom blooms... .which will happen. Did you already get all the pumps etc.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
I need to save for about 2 weeks then ill be buying the stuff.

Im getting 100 dollars for the hood of the cube so thatll make it less expensive.
im getting anxious too haha i cant stand waiting for this stuff!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store