Biodenitrator Filters - Any Advice?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drdud

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
Southwest of Chicago
I followed one of the links on AC for an "Aquaripure" brand filter that promises to completely eliminate water changes due to nitrate buildup. Anyone have any experience or 'words of wisdom' regarding these. The price seems comparable to a cannister. Seem like you would still need a mechanical filtration system. Seems like a "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is" kind of thing.

Link: http://www.aquaripure.com/index.htm

Quote from their website:
The Aquaripure filter is a comprehensive biological filter which will completely remove all organic matter and nitrates in an Aquarium. This type of filter is also known as a denitrator, denitrifier, biodenitrator, anaerobic biological filter, or simply a nitrate filter.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Nothing can completely eliminate water changes. Nitrate is not the only reason to do water changes. I would not buy it.

drdud

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
Southwest of Chicago
I understand that water changes would still be necessary. The literature on this filter reminds everyone that phosphates and other impurities would still be present. And .... they would be glad to sell me a RO system to lower these contaminates in my source water. However, I wondered if the limiting factor for water changes is not nitrates, would this help with algea buildup? If I ran a maximum of <5 ppm nitrates (it says 0.2), would this help? (I know, algea is also a symtom of too much light.)

drdud

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
Southwest of Chicago
I agree with you about the inflated $$$ "savings". Has anyone used this type of filter? Does it work to reduce the nitrates? If I can reduce the water changes on my overcroweded mbuna tank, it may be worth the investment. I'm not trying to eliminate WC, just reduce. If no one has used one, it must not be effective.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
want lower nitrates? add plants, larger water volume or less fish.

check out gunners nitrate filters, hydrophytes ripariums, aquaponics, etc.

drdud

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
Southwest of Chicago
OK. I guess no one has used these filters. I guess that tells me what I wanted to know. It sounded kind of cool. Feeding the bacteria vodka. Too good to be true. Thanks.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
No they work but they just target one toxin nitrate. You just cant compare or compete with what creation has provided with plants, spacifically plants that dont add bio-load and require no gas exchange assistance becasue only their roots are submerged to pull the full spectrum of fish waste toxins out of the water. Personally Id rather put my trusts in a living plant organism designed and experienced to deal with the waste without it having to be feed Vodka. Otherwise I think there are some neighbors who would be willing do weekly water changes for a 5th of Smirnoff each week, just make sure they get fed the vodka after the nitrates have been removed.:rolleyes:

drdud

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
Southwest of Chicago
I see what you mean. I have admired pics of your nitrate filter. Nice. I know NOTHING about plants. I throw some Java Moss in a few tanks, but I am not sure it does anything to the nitrates. I doubt it. I tried to plant a tank once. WOW. What a mess I made. Where can I get the plants you use? Home Depot or nurserys? I will look up your thread again and get a few details. Thanks for the input. I guess I should keep the vodka for the neighbors.

dafishman

AC Members
Aug 3, 2010
Most anywhere I've seen that has house plants carries them, generally under the name "Golden Pothos". Wal-mart, Home Depot, just about everywhere. Usually 10-14 bucks for a very nice sized plant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store