Black Background Ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jurupari Man

The Masked Tortilla
May 29, 2001
New York, NY
I used to always paint the backs of my tanks black. But to be honest I don't want to deal with the process of painting and would like to try a different method. I've read that tinted window film works well. I'd probably go for blackout film so that it's 100% opaque. I believe you just spray the back of the tank with soapy water, lay the film down and then squeegee it like crazy till all bubbles are out.

Something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/VELIMAX-Bl...3&sr=1-3-5519553e-2baa-451e-af83-b0156e5c6669

Has anyone here had experience with that? Is there perhaps another type of film or adhesive black vinyl that would work well and is easy to install?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
That method is the same as they use to tint car windows. Since it is not that easy to get that 100% if you have no experience in it, I doubt that it would be easier/faster as painting. Easier and faster for sure are a trash bag or piece of black cardboard and some duct tape.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I tried a dark window tint a number of years ago but it wasn't dark enough compared to painting the back black. Might be cheaper to try a craft store for bulk material to attach to back of tank depending on tank size.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
There's also choroplast that comes in panels. It's sort of like corrugated cardboard only plastic. You may find in in hobby stores...I don't know where I've seen it but available. Dollar store? More durable than cardboard & flatter than trash bags...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You can try something like a black sheet of signwriters vinyl.

The easiest is likely to use spray paint though.. or black plastidip.

Jurupari Man

The Masked Tortilla
May 29, 2001
New York, NY
Hi. Sorry I dropped the ball on following up here... I ended up picking up a "black out" window film and applying that. I haven't filled the tank yet, but it looks like it's going to work well. Took a little effort to get all the bubbles out but I think it's on there nicely now. We shall see! :)

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
I have painted the backs of tanks in the past, but as you, I find it a chore I am not willing to repeat.
Now, I simply use construction paper attached to the back of tanks, and it lasts for years. A couple of pictures included, you decide whether it pleases your eye, or not. It is certainly easy, cheap, quick and reversible.

Prochi 10Apr2020.jpg

IMG_0459 crop.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store