black convict hanging out near filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wthk

AC Members
Jul 2, 2010
i have a 30 gallon tank (getting a bigger on in august) i have three black convict in it nothing else. one of them hangs out by the filter in the corner any reason why? the other two hang out all the time, and seam fine. i think they may be spawning soon just worried about the one in the corner i have a ten gallon in the closet i can set up for him but dont know if i should or if he just likes hanging out there any help would be appreciated

thank you in advance

JakeJ

Pubished in TFH!
Mar 27, 2010
Green Bay, WI
www.thejakearium.com
Real Name
Jacob (aka Jake)
Bullying. Especially if the other pair are mating. Depending on what size the outcast is, I would put him in the 10g.
Reagards,
Jake

Betta Bob

AC Members
Jun 24, 2010
M.D.
If he isn't showing any symptoms of being ill then they are probably picking on him, and if you like him you should move him to where he won't be bothered. 10 is small but I'm sure at this point he won't mind that much.

wthk

AC Members
Jul 2, 2010
thank you i thought as much but hes the bigger of the three which surprises me time to clean up a tank thanks again

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I agree with the bullying theory.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
My experience with cons and mating cons informs me that you'd better get the third one out of there before they kill it. Lots of other cons--just jousting all the time. One other--the bell tolls. And they don't pair up just according to the biggest, I've found. Good luck!!!!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Pairing up is obvious. The females will have pink or orange on the lower part of the body. There will one that will establish himself as the dominant. Breeding may/may not appear if there is no competition for the female. Once paired, they will stay together for quite a while. The outcast is not usually killed but warned off. The best way to curb aggression is through overstocking.

wthk

AC Members
Jul 2, 2010
excuzzzeme you got me thinking what could i put in there or should i just let the parents raise the fry and have a convict tank im looking at a nice 75 gallon for them but that would leave me with an empty 30 gallon lol wish i could have jacks in my state but they are illegal ive had them before and loved them such a beatiful fish. i have a 4 year old that loves the fish thats why i got the convicts in the first place but they only had 3 at the store so i got them all in hopes of a breeding pair but thought a 30 gallon would be big enough. guess i was wrong on that one the one by the filter is now holding his own but goes no where near the cave (waiting for 10 gallon to cycle) i hope i dont have to put him in it but will if i have to. any suggestions?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Males get to 4.5-5" with females being smaller. The theory behind overstocking is to spread aggression throughout the tank. It is better to have a larger shoal than one where a pair or two could gang up on a single fish. Doing it correctly means a large, well filtered tank with plenty of "caves" to establish territory.

Return the the odd fish to the store if you can and keep the pair in the 30. You could add other fish but if you let them have the 30, you will definitely have some breeding and the parents will raise the fry. It is educational and fun to watch but I seriously doubt any young child will understand the impact of their actions. You will also need a plan for the future of the spawn. I have my convicts in a 6' 100 with Oscars and silver dollars. The SD will not harm them but the Oscars eat them when the parents quit guarding them. Any that I save are sent to lfs or people on this site that want them. Once they breed it won't take long to be overrun with them! The first brood or two might be small but subsequent broods will increase in size. Sort of like "practice makes perfect". My last brood was about 75 fry. Survival rate was no less than 50.

You could use the 30 for them as it would be ideal. That would leave the 75 for other fish. JD would be ideal to feed off the unwanted fry to, but that is out for legal reasons. You can use the 75 for your showpiece tank like you want. You have the option of filling it with almost any fish you can legally own. They are literally a pefect size for most fish kept by those in the hobby. It goes without saying that it is too small for tankbusters, which still leaves you a ton to choose from.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store