Black Ghost Knife Brackish???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Squirt0170

AC Members
May 16, 2006
I was told by a Petsmart employee that Black Ghost knifes are Brackish fish but another told me he would be fine in my aquarium... I'm not really even sure what "brackish" fish water is (So I'm reading the FAQ for newbies on that subject)

Now the one I bought has being doing just fine in my freshwater aquarium... I do add Aquarium salt but NO sea Salt....

I LOVE this fish and want to keep him alive as LONG as possible... Any help would be great!!

mrgrudge

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
You are aware that they grow to be 20", right? How big of a tank are you keeping him in?

I've wanted one of these adorable fish but I just don't have a tank big enough to keep one in myself.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
aquarium salt is no good for brackish fish, you need to use marine mix. That being said black gohst knifes are completly fresh and acording o petsmart all fish do better with aquarium salt, well, the truth is it shortens thier lifespan.

Reactions: CichlidFins

Squirt0170

AC Members
May 16, 2006
Big Tank Indeed

Oh yeah I know they get big.. I seen a HUGE clown knife at a LFS and he was amazing looking!!!

Right now he is in a 30 gal because he's still tiny. Then in about a month he's going to my new 75 gal. it's still cycling.

Thank you for letting me know they are NOT brackish fish.. I was not aware that aquarium salt isn't good for them. I wonder why they sell it?

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
I was told by a Petsmart employee that Black Ghost knifes are Brackish fish but another told me he would be fine in my aquarium... I'm not really even sure what "brackish" fish water is (So I'm reading the FAQ for newbies on that subject)

Now the one I bought has being doing just fine in my freshwater aquarium... I do add Aquarium salt but NO sea Salt....

I LOVE this fish and want to keep him alive as LONG as possible... Any help would be great!!
Bullcrap. They don't need brackish water, keep him in fresh.

monkey_toes

"Maybe it's a hybrid"
Feb 7, 2006
Southwest Florida

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
please dont put your ghost in a brakish, I have about 4 of these lovely fish and they cannot live in those situations. Each of them is in a 400 Gallon aquarium one being in 1100 gallons

Kennyb

Registered Member
Apr 25, 2020
Ok guys I most recently have a discus fish who developed pop eye so I did a 50% water change and added some prime and a little algae fix and some API aquarium salt and now my black ghost knife is struggling swimming sideways and floating a bit and breathing erratic and not eating is it the aquarium salt? I have 3 discus 1 Bgk 2 silver dollar tiger 2 red Severums and a 1motoro stingray in a 220g and have never had this problem because I usually keep good water quality I’m confused my water temp is currently at 83.8 I usually keep it at around 80/82 but I bump it up a little to settle the discus with the popped eye any suggestions please help???

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Kennyb, why did you add algae fix to treat pop eye? I suggest performing another water change to remove at least some of the algae fix.

What are your test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

How often do you change the water and how much do you change when you do?

Reactions: the loach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store