Black Ghost Knife Fish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
softer water... somewhat larger fish so they need a larger tank... pretty blind and slightly electric, they use a type of "sonar" to "see".... only one electric fish per tank, this includes elephant noses, glass knives, BGK and a couple others i can't think of atm. pretty fish, very docile, could be easily harassed by almost any other fish. predatory, so anything smaller could become a meal. scaleless fish basically, any treatments will have to be carefully given.... eats bloodworms and maybe shrimp pellets and maybe ghost shrimp... and like i said, any other little fish that will fit in its mouth.......

specific questions just ask........ this is sort of a wide answer and i didn't want to write a whole book.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
They LOVE brine shrimp as well. You make them sound like a wimp? No, they arent. If harrassed, they will "fight" back. They can also be trained to eat out of your hand :)

Dabbler II

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Edmonton, Alberta,Canada
I have a 120 gal tank and there isn't anything in there but giant diano's. My Fish guy at the LFS gave me the sugestion of this fish and I trust his opion. I am just wondering if anyone has some insite on this fish because it is one of those "different" fish you don't see around to often. I plan to put some barbs in with him, and some others I just can't remember which one (bad brain):)

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
be carefull which barbs you put in there with him. Some barbs (tiger) are fin nippers and you cant mix fin nippers with the BGK.

A very Nice fish...Are you going to try to hand train him/her to eat out of your hand? They do have a LONG lifespan of 10+ years.

Glenstorm

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
Orono, ME
Visit site
They appreciate some nice hiding places like caves, pieces of pvc pipe, etc. . .

I second that they are not wimps. Lost a small tetra to mine. One morning the tetra had a bite taken out of him, the next he was dead with a few more bites. I found the tetra in the vincinity of the BGK cave. Since then haven't had any problems. . . Mine is tankmates with a oriental algae eater, Bosemani rainbow, swordtail pair, sailfin pleco, and a green cory. we also had a pair of Pearl Gourami's but they past on due to a faulty heater incident.

Dan

roper930

AC Members
Feb 6, 2002
Nebraska
pages.ivillage.com
If you have the opportunity, I'd definately get one!! I have one that's about 6" now. I just LOVE their little faces!! They don't look like fish at all...reminds me more of a little puppy face..(Call me weird.)
I haven't been able to hand feed mine, he's very skittish...Any slight movement of my hand and he darts away like a little black torpedo!! :rolleyes:
If it's a unique fish u want, ever thought of a FW stingray?? A 120 gal. would be perfect for one (or two)!! You can hand feed them, too...I have one and is definately worth the price tag. Depending on the type they can range from $60 - $800!! Mine was listed @ $60....Let me know if you're interested at all!! I can get u more info if you'd like.

Beth :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store