Black Moor at bottom of tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JoelB

AC Members
Jul 17, 2008
That's a handy product. Do you have a preference of formula? I notice the herbivore formula is higher in fibre but the omnivore formula is lower in protien. On the other hand I could just get the standard one and mix in some finely chopped, possibly blanched veges before it sets.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Here's the chart.

I use the 5M70 since it has sufficient protein needed by young goldfish. For young goldfish, I aim for protein content of 40-60%.

JoelB

AC Members
Jul 17, 2008
I found this on the bottom of this page http://dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/GelColor.html

I think most flipping is due to bacteria in the GI tract that produce gas. Gas is formed by bacteria in the colon from fermenting starch or sugars. Several of the foods that may contribute to gas are in fish foods (wheat and soy) which are rich in raffinose and stachyose. Raffinose and stachyose are three, and four sugar polymers, and are classified as oligosaccharides. The Oligosaccharides are also present in significant quantities in legume seeds.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to say that peas make the fish floaty.

JoelB

AC Members
Jul 17, 2008
The grey spot I mentioned as being on the dorsal has disappeared, and one has appeared on the tail fin. Now I suspect it isn't fungus but some kind of parasite (not that I've seen one of these before).

I can't seem to take a good shot and these don't do it justice.

It appears to be a round disc and looks like it is hanging off the edge of the tail fin.

P.S. today I picked up some tri-sulfa broad spectrum bacterial disease meds, some praziquantel fluke and worm meds, and some wardley promethyasul bacterial, fungus and parasite treatment. Could I use these?

P.P.S. made some gel food today

bm1.jpg bm2.jpg

Last edited:

JoelB

AC Members
Jul 17, 2008
OK, I got a better look at it and I don't think it is anything like a copepod. It isn't smooth but not quite furry...more like the way a food pellet goes once it takes on a little water.

The fish is now resting on its side and more lethargic than before.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I'd get the praziquantel ready, Joel. Here's some info on how prazi can be dosed.

Remove carbon.
Add 2.5 milligrams per liter of water.
If you are using the powdered version, it is difficult to dissolve. Predissolve in tank water by shaking it up in a small container.
Dosing
Day 1 -- remove carbon, perform water change with vacuuming, and add Prazi to tank
Day 2 -- add Prazi
Day 3 -- do nothing
Day 4 -- do nothing
Day 5 -- do nothing
Day 6 -- add Prazi
Day 7 -- add Prazi
Day 8 -- normal partial water change with vacuuming
Day 14 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 21 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 28 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 35 - normal partial water change, add carbon, treatment is complete

Are you sure that's not even a slime coating?

JoelB

AC Members
Jul 17, 2008
Are you sure that's not even a slime coating?
Not sure but it doesn't look so. It is a fairly specific spot.

I added some tri-sulfa a little earlier. Can I do the prazi at the same time or should I do some w/c first?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I would not advise combining prazi and tri-sulfa. Were you suspecting bacterial infection is involved? What other unusual symptoms have you observed so faraside from lethargic behavior?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store