Black phantom tetras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
I decided upon these tetras for my tank, what are they like for schooling?
I really like the look of them, not a fish I had ever looked at until I bought them but I am delighted with them. Will add pictures when they are put into my main tank :eek:)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I have 6 in a 20H so they are, logistically close together. Be that as it may, they usually are swimming together and "flashing" one another. I'd say more of a shoaling fish

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
They do seem to be schooling a bit better now, interestingly they have coloured up so much more than when I first picked them up!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have a school in my 100gal. They kind of hang together, but not tightly. A year ago they bred somehow and 1 baby acutally survived. I never saw the breeding or eggs, just found a baby one day. He is now full grown.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
I have a school in my 100gal. They kind of hang together, but not tightly. A year ago they bred somehow and 1 baby acutally survived. I never saw the breeding or eggs, just found a baby one day. He is now full grown.
One survived? That's amazing esp in a community tank. Am I right to say they scatter their eggs?
I have 12 of them, hope they all make it to the tank!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I think that they're not only egg scatterers, but they're a black water fish whose eggs are very susceptible to fungus, so they need to have virtually no lighting in most cases. Obviously, Tanker managed somehow.

Personally, I prefer the now-much-harder-to-find-for-sale red phantoms. I had some years ago, and they were awesome. Can't find them easily. You can find the similarly marked, but very differently tempered, red serpaes everywhere, though.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Tony:

Yes one somehow survived in a community tank. I also have 4 large angels in there too.

Authmal:

When I saw the baby I did not even know it was a Black Phantom till it grew a little more. Also I never saw them breed, so cannot give anymore insight. My water here is naturally soft.
I too am a big fan of Red Phantoms, but do not like them in the same tank===they look to much alike. I know== This from a person that has both Neons and Cardinals in the same tank.

I think Red Phantoms like water a little cooler (72-74 degrees). They would go well with neons, they too like water a little cooler.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store