Blackwater Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Biggie343

AC Members
Feb 2, 2012
Hudson Valley
Evening folks,

I am thinking about starting a S/A blackwater tank. I have researched appropriate species for the habitat, but my question is about the appearance of the fish. I have watched some youtube vids and it looks like fish with certain colors are more visible than others, for example iridescent blues appear more noticeable than reds. Is this the case only in video or is it true when observing the fish directly. Anyone have any suggestions for must-haves for a blackwater tank?

Thanks in advance

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I have a blackwater 30g tall right now. It has tannins from almond leaves for coloration. My center school consists of harlequin rasboras, and I can still make out the reds if they stay in the mid to high light levels of the tank.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
S/A Blackwater must have====Cardinals.

Biggie343

AC Members
Feb 2, 2012
Hudson Valley
Thanks for the replies, so reds are visible just subdued like the vid shows :( Yes cardinals are on the short list:) as are rams, and corys either Aeneus or Brochis Splendens, also considering Altum angels or Discus. A little nervous about the last 2

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Shannon's got it. Cards are soooo colorful in bw tanks! Maybe one angel, 6 cards, and 5 corys for the bottom? I don't know a single thing about discus :/

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Altums need deeper tanks- think about 27 inches deep or more. They also do much better in groups. If recent imports you need to start them in water with a pH anywhere from the low 4s to the low 5s.

Most tannin stained water tend to be low pH.

This video may help- it is from the Rio Atabapo and shows a number of fish.
[video=youtube;duvFEPwabng]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duvFEPwabng[/video]

You may also want to consider a cheaper method than catappas leaves for staining the water- Rooibos tea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store