blew another diaphragm!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
I bet that got your attention! LMAO.......anyways, I did post a question before about airpumps and how long a rubber diaphragm should last. I didn't get much response, so hopefully I will this time. I replaced the diaphragm 2 weeks ago in an Elite 801, it has ripped already! There is no restriction in the airline at all. Question - the rubber diaphragm seems to be very dry when bought, which wouldn't make it last too long, can you apply vaseline(or something) to the rubber to make it more resistant to tearing or ripping?? Good thing this is about an airpump! LOL

bobalston

AC Members
Apr 2, 2003
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
As I recall, from long, long ago when I repaired air pumps at the LFS where I worked, the rubber diaphram does feel kinda dry but still flexible. Since you say the output of air is not blocked, I would suspect it was installed incorrectly. Can you look at an instruction page you have or on the web?

Bob

Fresh04

Go M's!!!!!
Jan 12, 2004
Bridgeport, CT
Visit site
I'm not sure you'd want to put vaseline on anything made rubber. They do warn you not to use it on other rubber items on the market ;) I believe it weakens it, which would just send you back to square one. Could have just been an old one, chances are they don't sell a great volume of that part, so maybe it hung around for long enough and dried out...

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Those things are a pain to replace with all the little bolts... definitely should last longer than 2 weeks. I can't remember the last time I replaced mine, I think it was spring or summer... Anyhow, obvious question, but it's all I can think of... I know you say no restrictions in the airline, but when was the last time you replaced your airstone?

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
THanks everyone! I was wondering if someone was going to comment on the weakening of the rubber using vaseline! ;)
Anyways, the airstone is only 1 month old and I have replaced WAY too many diaphragms to install in improperly. I believe I just got one that was brittle and sitting around too long in the LFS.

I installed both at the same time and the other one is doing fine, so......? I wonder if the bubbles are worth the hassle? LMAO..:laugh:

Dabbler II

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Edmonton, Alberta,Canada
Originally posted by Fresh04
I'm not sure you'd want to put vaseline on anything made rubber. They do warn you not to use it on other rubber items on the market ;)
That was Latex you are not suposed to put vaseline on :laugh:

But on another note some silacone (sp) grease might be ok

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
I have a check valve on both my airlines.......I think it was just an old one I got that's been sitting around awhile......

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
At the Pet Store I work at, I was doing inventory one day and chanced across about 70 of them. If you want one, just go to your local Pet Supplies Plus and tell them you want PSP #10 to ship them some Rubber Diaphrams.

And no, they do not sell well at all. If you remember when Whisper's challenger air pumps where on the market, they're from that era.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store