Blind betta diagnosis?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pranco Le

Registered Member
Dec 4, 2020
USA
Hello, I recently rehomed a male betta splendens who is quite unable to see. I have little information on his previous diet/water conditions/general care, but there is obviously an issue with his eyes. The little guy is pretty active and curious in his new tank, no other issues are present right now. His current home is a five gallon hex tank; it's filtered, heated, lighted, and lightly planted, water conditions are as follows-

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
pH: 6.5
Hardness (GH): 3
Alkalinity (KH): 4

Is this cloudy eye or something else? He's not that old so I'd guess it's not cataracts, but I'd really appreciate more experienced fishkeepers giving their opinion! His pupils are opaque and glazed-over. I've included pictures of course- I apologize for their quality, but due to technical issues, it's all I can offer at the moment:

IMG_0127.jpg IMG_0121.jpg IMG_0119.jpg IMG_0118.jpg IMG_0112.jpg

Thank you for reading.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Looks like a marble koi betta. Sometimes their mutation can cause some scales to cover the eye, sometimes it comes and goes since they change their pattern oftentimes... and can show the red eye flash, that yours is showing, in the right lighting. Feed in the same place each day, do a light tap on the tank rim so they know its food time (I've trained my bettas this way too).
While the scales/pigment covers the eye, he may have little to even no sight, but its good to get in the habit of an audible clue to tell them to come up to find food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store