Blood and Air bubble in Black Moors Eye.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

K.F.Y.

Registered Member
Oct 11, 2015
I have had a black moor and a calico telescope for about 7 months in a 55 gallon tank which I clean weekly 50% water changes. I have 2 Fluval 70 gallon Hobs and my ammonia and nitrite are both 0. My nitrates were higher than I would like(around 60) so I added a pathos plant to each filter which has helped my levels. I also have a bristle nose pleco sharing there tank too. I have some pieces of solid drift wood with some Anubis growing out of it and some larger pebbles in the bottom. I also have a green machine since my tank gets quit a bit of indirect light from some big windows in the room. I thought that maybe black jack (my black moor) had bumped his eye when I first noticed it, but there is this weird air bubble looking thing I his eye as well and it looks like there is a little bit of blood in his other eye now too. Could this be an infection, and if so how did he get it. Have not added anything new to the tank for quite awhile. He is not acting sick in anyway and eating well. Should I be concerned? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Sounds like physical damage to me. Tank pic of the drift wood?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I agree, it sounds like he ran into something. Personally, I would add some melafix for a week to help him heal quicker and reduce the risk of infection.

K.F.Y.

Registered Member
Oct 11, 2015
Thank you Bob and Tiff. I was pretty much thinking the same thing as it has not gotten any worse. Will treat with melafix and keep an eye on it (pun intended). He definitely could have run into the drift wood or my budda head I have for my pleco. Neither of them are sharp, but he and my other Telescope do get to racing around sometimes. I always put the decor back in the same place so they know the tank. Will include some pics of tank and eye trauma. Thanks again :IMG_1229.JPG IMG_1230.JPG IMG_1231.JPGIMG_1232.JPGIMG_1233.JPGIMG_1234.JPGIMG_1235.JPG

K.F.Y.

Registered Member
Oct 11, 2015
image.jpeg

So it seems my black moors eye is getting worse. More blood filled a little cloudy. Could this be an infection? If so how do I treat? Have included some pictures, his other eye is pretty much totally healed. I did use some melafix could this have made it worse? Please help don't want my beautiful fish to go blind in one eye :(

image.jpeg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Hard to say...not an expert on illness of goldies...it could just have more damage. If the other eye has improved, I'd stay the course. And while not ideal, many folks have maintain fish with one eye bad and even two. I'd probably recommend changing out the décor to something smoother and maybe lower the lighting a tad.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
With those bulgy eye guys, they very easily injure them on pieces of drift wood that may not even seem sharp to you. I agree with changing them out for smoother stones or wood without any edges like that. Keep going with the melafix IMO, it can take up to two weeks to heal fully (maybe longer). Melafix is pretty gentle and can be used for extended periods of time. I'm sure you know to do it, but did you remove the carbon from your filter before use? It doesn't look like an infection to me, just damaged, but I'm certainly not a vet. Keep an eye out for cloudiness and swelling. But just stick with the Melafix and removing the decor for now.

K.F.Y.

Registered Member
Oct 11, 2015
Thank you both again for your opinions. I am doing a water change to day and removing all the Decore except a small piece of drift wood with a plant that I will put in the corner with edges touching the glass only smooth part in front( my pleco needs a place to hang). I will start the melafix again tomorrow ran out so had to reorder. Pretty large dose for my size tank. Do you recommend the full dose everyday until his eye is completely healed? Makes the water kind of soapy looking am I putting too much in? I don't use carbon filters anymore. Haven't since my levels stabilized. Just use two sponge filters in each filter along with my bio media. Also have a bio rock, but looks like it is starting to break down a bit any word on the life of these things or if they really work ? I have patho plants in my filters to help keep down nitrates. Will keep posting how he is doing so great to have People to chat with about this.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I would recommend doing the full dose for sure. Its ok that it makes the water look soapy. If you havent ordered yet, order the "pond melafix" the concentrations are higher so you use less volume on bigger tanks. It'll save you money in the long run.

Reactions: K.F.Y.

K.F.Y.

Registered Member
Oct 11, 2015
Almost did that and then I was worried it wouldn't tell me how much to put in an aquarium. Got the 16oz will order pond if I need more. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store