Blood shrimp breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Animal4

Registered Member
Jul 6, 2015
UK
Real Name
Dave
First may I say hello to everyone as this is my first time on this forum I hope I can help you with any questions you have and hope you can help me with mine
I have two blood shrimp and want to try and breed them any tips for me please
Thanks
Dave

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
It's incredibly difficult to breed marine shrimp.

Not impossible, as it has been done in laboratory conditions. The key is providing the right food at the right times of the different planktonic larval stages. They will need micro algae, followed by rotifers, followed by copepods, followed by artemia. All at very specific stages as each zoea metamorphoses into the next larger stage.

It's not like breeding the freshwater Neocaridina shrimp which essentially start out as miniature versions of the adults.

You will need a dedicated room for growing out the different cultures of live foods (these need to be free from contamination) as well as multiple tanks to grow out the larval stages.

You also need to make sure you have male and female shrimp.

Andy

Reactions: Duckie

Animal4

Registered Member
Jul 6, 2015
UK
Real Name
Dave
It's incredibly difficult to breed marine shrimp.

Not impossible, as it has been done in laboratory conditions. The key is providing the right food at the right times of the different planktonic larval stages. They will need micro algae, followed by rotifers, followed by copepods, followed by artemia. All at very specific stages as each zoea metamorphoses into the next larger stage.

It's not like breeding the freshwater Neocaridina shrimp which essentially start out as miniature versions of the adults.

You will need a dedicated room for growing out the different cultures of live foods (these need to be free from contamination) as well as multiple tanks to grow out the larval stages.

You also need to make sure you have male and female shrimp.

Andy
Wow ! I'm sorry I asked now lol thanks for that info , well they're both sexes until one changes so won't know that yet but I did get one bigger than the other so usually the bigger one eventually becomes female .typical lol
See wot Mother Nature does and keep you posted if anything happens

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Well, at least with shrimp the sex change can go both ways. If you got clownfish and you have two females, then you are screwed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store