Blue Acara & Bolivian Rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
Greetings,

I have a 55 g planted and have 3 Blue Acara & a bunch of Tetras as dither fish.

I was wanting to add a few Bolivians to the mix.

Has anyone ever had these 2 as tank mates before?

The Acaras are getting quite interactive with me and i know Bolivians do the same from my past experiences with them.

Thanks,

-TF

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Is this the breeding acaras tank? I kept acaras & firemouths (larger than Bolivians) We had a pair of each in a 55g. The acaras took 2/3+ of the tank as their territory. They didn't fight too much as long as the firemouths didn't cross the line. The was some fry eating by both pairs once the babies cruised the tank.

What are the sexes of the acaras? That might make a difference too...

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
The acaras are a mated pair + an additional female that my wife bought for me recently.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Does the "extra" female breed with the male too? They might, males can be fickle (or is it a short attention span? :rolleyes: ). That would be bad for you adding Bolivians. If I were you I'd wait & see how the acara dynamic plays out a bit longer.

If you're set on adding more fish, I'd rearrange the tank decor, add more caves & plants to break up the sightlines, cross your fingers & have a back up plan

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Well just be aware you would be mixing two temperamental unpredictable fishes; which is a way to say it might work out great but it might not. A single Bolivian is likely to work but don't dare get two and it might take a bit of beating before it learns where it is (and is not) allowed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store