Blue Acaras..Are they really peaceful?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
i found some acara pics and they do look very alike..im still not sure because of the coloring on the fish..

look at the pic of the silver saum and compare..

and to clarify. the silver saum is a color morph of the gold saum (common green terror that yah see in all the LFS) they look identical except that the silvers tail is trimmed in silver. They come from diffrent rivers.

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
yeah they are very similar...I understand how you could mistake it now.

You could only really tell if you look very closly at the shape of their heads...plus the tail characteristic that you mentioned.

Mr.Jingles

It's Aqua Live!
Aug 26, 2000
MI, USA
terror

that blue acara definatly looks like a green terror. silver saum. whatever.

the thing that makes me think it is a terror is its larger forehead, its blue spangles, and the white edge of the dorsal fin.

a) GT's foreheads generally have less coloration than the rest of their body and are slightly more verticle due to their naunchal humps they grow.

b) GT's have that blue/green spangling in the rows that your fish exibits. Blue Acaras generally have much less spangling on their bodies and the spangles do not appear in rows like that.

c) Blue Acaras only have the yellow/orange coloring on the dorsal fin and occasionally on the anal fin. ive never ever seen a white color.

the thing that would make me think its a blue acara is its lack of coloring on the caudal fin. all blue acaras have no colored fringe. yours clearly exibits this trait. it also has the dotted cheeks, rather than the lines.

as an extra note (I dont know if this is a true statement): your fish is more robust and pan shaped than acaras are. if you look at GT's (not the true variety) than you will observe that they are a little shorter in length, while being the same hieght as a BA.

Last edited:

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
i have seen blue acaras with the white on their fins. it is very rare but it has been noted and i have seen it. but i see how it is questionable because the eyes are so big and the body is kinda scrunched up horizontally and the forehead does have less coloring compared to my blue acaras. but they are very close hard to tell. take some betetr pics and maybe we willl be able to tell but it does resenble a silver saum

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
LOL, I got told...

I will try to take some better pictures...got some other priorities at the moment but I will try to get a clear one of the "unknown", I think he can adopt this name. I'm an certain that he is a blue acara...once again I blame it purly on the bad quality of the picture.

I'll try to get some new pics in the next few days or so....

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
sounds good. i will get some of mine too, even tho i jsut lost 1.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store