Blue eye lemon Pleco breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Apartment_Aquariums

Registered Member
Oct 20, 2020
So I jus got a blue eye lemon Pleco and was wondering if it will breed with me male bristlenose plecos. I have 2 males adults, one has bred with one of my female bristlenose pleco just last month. But was curious if he will breed with the blue eye lemon Pleco, ik the blue eye lemon is technically a bristlenose just a fancier version but didn’t how breeding worked. Anybody that has tried this or has any experience plz reply.

thanks

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It's pretty doubtful, different genuses (genua?) don't have enough genes in common. Size differences exist too...

Besides it's not a great idea to hybridize fish on purpose. The rarer fish should bred to each other. There's whole ethical considerations with keeping strains or genuses "pure" If you are an ethical breeder (if they can breed) that you will be careful to always call them hybrids. This is not something I like to see in our hobby even if possible...just say no!

Reactions: Apartment_Aquariums

Apartment_Aquariums

Registered Member
Oct 20, 2020
It's pretty doubtful, different genuses (genua?) don't have enough genes in common. Size differences exist too...

Besides it's not a great idea to hybridize fish on purpose. The rarer fish should bred to each other. There's whole ethical considerations with keeping strains or genuses "pure" If you are an ethical breeder (if they can breed) that you will be careful to always call them hybrids. This is not something I like to see in our hobby even if possible...just say no!
Lol alright don’t go callin the fish police on me it was just a question. I jus didn’t know if it would be a good idea

• Haha
Reactions: Sprinkle
Apr 2, 2002
New York
This is not a real species as far as i know. It is a variant of the typical tank bristlenose. I do believe it can spawn with your other bristlenose assuming they are different sexes. Have a read here re your fish https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=905

I began with long fin bn and then graduated to the albinos. I can tell you they do interbreed. Most of these fish are man made, they do not exist in nature. they are created by line breeding intended to fix specific characteristic genetically. Because these are all "bastard" fish, their source matters as to how true they may breed. My albinos always threw some number of regulars and my long fin regulars always produced about 20% normal finned offspring.

I have been told that all the interesting tank variants of the bristlenose originated from Ancistrus temminckii or Ancistrus cirrhosus. I have no idea if this is true or it is just fish lore.

Apartment_Aquariums

Registered Member
Oct 20, 2020
This is not a real species as far as i know. It is a variant of the typical tank bristlenose. I do believe it can spawn with your other bristlenose assuming they are different sexes. Have a read here re your fish https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=905

I began with long fin bn and then graduated to the albinos. I can tell you they do interbreed. Most of these fish are man made, they do not exist in nature. they are created by line breeding intended to fix specific characteristic genetically. Because these are all "bastard" fish, their source matters as to how true they may breed. My albinos always threw some number of regulars and my long fin regulars always produced about 20% normal finned offspring.

I have been told that all the interesting tank variants of the bristlenose originated from Ancistrus temminckii or Ancistrus cirrhosus. I have no idea if this is true or it is just fish lore.
[/QUOTE

i thought that it was possible. Ik they are both technically anicistrus sp I figured some cross breeding had to be done to get the blue eye and the long fin and all the other variants. I’m gonna give it a shot

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Just an FYI, getting a lemon pleco male and breeding the two will net you fry that can be sold for more. Most folks will not want a cross breed as they will not breed true. You are obligated, if you sell such offspring, to inform any potential buyer of the fact they are cross breeds and what the parents were. You will not be able to help if you are asked about the grand parents.

Also, ancistrus tend to breed prolifically. As they grow they will have larger spawns. The final spawn I got from a LF brown ancistrus pair before I sold them was over 100 fry.

Reactions: Apartment_Aquariums

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It's funny when I googled yesterday I got a different result than today. I had L-144s, similar to your fish (or maybe the same?) I gave all but a female away, I wasn't interested in breeding them. The guy I got them from was giving them away too...You might want to look into what LFS or other places that might want them...Prolific breeders can be a headache...

So, as usual, TTA is right. It's an ancistrus too. You might want to breed it to another blue eyed lemon, the fry would be worth more as he said. Or you can try breeding it's fry back to the lemon or to each other & hopefully get a percentage of more desirable fish.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
From Planetcatfish:

L144 is a one off import - the one male fish that came from Paraguay was at the time bred together with females imported at the same time, and then crossed back to their own siblings to lock the genetic defect that causes the yellow colour. These fish died out in the late 1990s as far as anyone can tell. The fish that is now sold as L144 is a different form, most likely based on Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus. This form resembling L144 can be found under as Ancistrus sp(4).
Scientific NameAncistrus sp. (4)
Common NamesFalse L144
Black Eyed Yellow Bristlenose, Citronancistrus (Sweden), Lemon Bristlenose

One of the things I have watched over the years is how the color and or finnage morphs in Discus, Angels, Gupies, Bettas, Bristlenose etc. command such premium prices.This lasts for a few years, assuming the trait is fixed and the fish will breed fairly true. And then with the supply increasing, the price drops and the next new morph has come along and now commands the premium.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, I live in a pretty big market area (several really)...like I said ask around. I got mine for free & so did the guy I gave 2 pairs to, I think he might have passed them along too...Some fish are too easy to breed & it can be hard to find homes for them all. It's fun to watch breeding a time or 2...& then it isn't...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store