Blue Rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
hello all,
I recently got 5 Blue Rams to put in my commnity tank and over the last month they have adapted quite well and appear to be quite happy. My question is, does anyone know what kind of parameters these fish enjoy, I heard higher temperatures for starters. The reason I ask is that my tap water comes out around 7.6 PH here and my tanks generally hover at a PH of 6-6.2. My tanks are lightly planted and after my weekly water change it will rise to about 6.8 and then drop again. My kit only goes down to a PH of 6, so I'm assuming that's what it is....when does the PH level off??

steve

jafo

AC Members
Oct 6, 2002
Johnson City, TN
fishgeeks.com
Your 5 Rams should be fine with your low pH.

You should get test kits for GH & KH and check your hardness. Also you might want to consider changing less water but more often as that big of a pH swing so fast isn't good for fish. pH shock is real and can lead to death.

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
thanks for the advice...i'll try changing out the water more often although I currently only change out 20% about once a week anyhow. Does anyone have any input as to how low the Ph would drop if I say let it go to a bi-weekly schedule. I know it should bottom out somewhere around 6, but my test kit only goes down to 6 and that's it. Would anyone recommend putting a buffering agent in the water to help compensate...I'm not really clear on how that stuff works. ANY input from those in the know, would be a great help, thanks everyone!

steve

Turbo

Im going crazy
Dec 1, 2002
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
Hey Stevie, do you got any pics of your Rams..if so Id really like to see them. I to got into Rams last spring and have been loving it since. I have German and Bolvarian Rams but am desperately looking for a couple breeding pair of European Blue Rams for a new 55 gallon setup that hasnt been stocked yet.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Rams are VERY chemical sensitive so if I were you I would not add anything at all to the tank to buffer. You can throw in a small amount of crushed coral (about 1 cup) either as part of the substrate or in your filter. This will raise the KH slightly and buffer the water. Rams so like soft acidic water but fluctuations like that aren't good for any fish in the long run.

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
I personally don't like the idea of putting additives in my tanks. I would rather put in the extra elbow grease to keep things on the up and up rather than rely on meds and buffers. As for the water changes for my Rams whom are senstive to chemicals and Ph swings : Change LESS amounts of water more often. right?? That is what I am pulling from your replies...if I am wrong correct me. My routine for my 20gHigh is about every 5-7 days ( depending on my days off ) changing out 5 gallons. I will switch to maybe 3 gallons twice a week to keep it at roughly the same amount and hopefully minimize the Ph swings. Again, let me know any error in my judgement here...I welcome constructive criticism. Thanks again!

steve

PS, about the pic, I am still living in 90's technology here...as soon as I get a new computer ( around xmas) I'll look into cams and whatnot. The Rams really are a sweet looking fish though..are their behaviours typical of ciclids?? It might make me switch my position on what my next LARGER tank will contain!!! :D

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Their behaviour regarding breeding is typical; however, many larger cichlids are far more aggressive. Rams are virtually pacifistic by comparison.

Turbo

Im going crazy
Dec 1, 2002
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
Rams

I agree....my rams are very passive. They are around four inches long and believe it or not had guppies living with them for a short time in their tank. A friend of mine had some guppies that she need taken care of till she got a new tank so I said I would take them....and of course one morning I had quite a few more guppies then when I started. :eek: The rams pretty much left the fry alone unless one wondered way out from their foilage cover. Now she has a quite a few more then when she started.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store