Blue Ramshorn Snails ?? Anyone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MotionInSilver

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
they're thriving no die offs? I was wondering as I used to see them around all of the time and wonder if its the gene mutation or just interest that reduced the availablity

TankGirl07

AC Members
Oct 23, 2016
Colorado
Real Name
Jessica
Yes I've had them for a few years now, my fish eat some of them and I do have a couple assassin snails to help with population control, but the snails are healthy.

20161023_213644.jpg

TankGirl07

AC Members
Oct 23, 2016
Colorado
Real Name
Jessica
I'm not sure how much this helps their shells but I do keep oyster shells from the beach in my tank, that is something I have done for about 20 years. They are shells that I gather and replace yearly. My fish love to nibble on them!

Reactions: MotionInSilver

The Dave

AC Members
Jul 26, 2016
western Massachusetts
www.youtube.com
Real Name
David Creque
Hello! I am on the hunt for blue ramshorns. Does anyone have any? I will PAY!! I've been searching like crazy. I did a search on here and it seems like they went through a popular phase around 2008, then again about in 2011 or so, and now zip. I just ordered some off AquaticArts but they were a slate color and even with great imagination, not blue. I wasn't excited by the color if you know what I mean. Even so, that was the only place I have found them anywhere online. Nothing on Ebay, nothing on Aquabid.. I just posted here in the classifieds but figured the best place would be to ask invert people :)

The ramshorn snail is often seen as an aquarium pest that people want to avoid. However, they only pose a problem in an aquarium that is unbalanced. When the aquarist adds too much food to the tank, the ramshorn snails take advantage of the abundance and breed at an alarming rate. Population explosions like this cannot be blamed on the snail, but on the owner.

The pink ramshorn snail, in particular is very attractive and graceful. I use them as a clean up crew to consume uneaten food in all of my tanks. They are also great in fry tanks for the same purpose. Their dropping also produce a small amount of infusoria which the fry will eat.

Watch this high definition video and gain a new respect and appreciation for this graceful aquarium "menace".

https://youtu.be/XcCRxUoDXxo

The Dave

AC Members
Jul 26, 2016
western Massachusetts
www.youtube.com
Real Name
David Creque
Mine are a brownish color, with a rare red one every now and then. Have never seen blue ones. It's also been my experience that "blue" in terms of animals usually means "grey" - except fish and birds.
The ramshorn snail is often seen as an aquarium pest that people want to avoid. However, they only pose a problem in an aquarium that is unbalanced. When the aquarist adds too much food to the tank, the ramshorn snails take advantage of the abundance and breed at an alarming rate. Population explosions like this cannot be blamed on the snail, but on the owner.

The pink ramshorn snail, in particular is very attractive and graceful. I use them as a clean up crew to consume uneaten food in all of my tanks. They are also great in fry tanks for the same purpose. Their dropping also produce a small amount of infusoria which the fry will eat.

Watch this high definition video and gain a new respect and appreciation for this graceful aquarium "menace".

The Dave

AC Members
Jul 26, 2016
western Massachusetts
www.youtube.com
Real Name
David Creque
Yes I've had them for a few years now, my fish eat some of them and I do have a couple assassin snails to help with population control, but the snails are healthy.

View attachment 218922
I still have a bunch 100 or more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store