Blue snails spawned/bred/did it!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drgold

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
Wausau, WI
I recently had a problem with my snails jumping ship, so I lowered the water level a couple inches. Within a couple days....eggs! The clutch is huge! The snails are about ping-pong ball sized and I have 16 in a 50g tank. They're still growing and were pea sized 2 months ago. With the importation ban, I may be onto a good thing here!
eggs:

and adults:

Anything special I have to do to raise the babies?

tmtpowers

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Burlington, NC
www.ferretvillage.org
How cool!!!! I've had tiny snail babies come in a many of times with plants and also had several live through bleach cleaning of a tank when I first got it (didn't know they were there). They are doing well in my friends tank to this day. She just throws a algae wafer for them to eat on and they are growing like weeds! Reason I didn't keep them is I am getting a pink striped, purple stripped mystery snail, a blue and blood red ramshorn snail, and a asolene spixi snail for my tanks. Anyways, good luck with your babies!!!

trkyhunter91

3yrs and still learning!!!
Apr 18, 2006
Ohio
I know the eggs wont make it in the water. Theres lots of good info on applesnail.com. Good luck. I didnt know the eggs were that big and that many. WOW thats cool. Thanks for posting the pics. I'd get some off of you after they hatch, but Im in Ohio. Its hard to find the snails here now. If you do they are in poor shape from lack of calcium and nutrients I think. Good Luck with your babies.

reziztor

I'm the man in the box
Oct 20, 2005
Korea
Yeah, that happens constantly to my yellow apple snails. Thats why they can be dangerous to ecosystems. They breed at the water line in a variaty of bad or good conditions and eat natural vegetation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store