BlueGills

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ashes

AC Members
Apr 19, 2001
Northern NY
Green Sunfish

I have a young green sunfish who looks an awful like the fish in that picture. That's my guess, too.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Yup Green sunfish, or Green eared sunfish, depending on where you are from.

The afore mentioned 12" isn't a stretch at all. I have cought 4 larger than that, and in Ohio (not known for large fish in general) we have angler awards. to qualify for the award with a bluegill the fish has to be 10 inches. I have caught 200+ qualifying fish in my life including one that measured a solid 13". Bluegill have a propensity to overstock bodies of water, and thus they stunt themselves in the wild. if a lake or pond has good water, and good sources of food, these fish will grow quite well. so in a tank where food is easy to find and water quality should be good, 12" wouldn't be a stretch at all IMO. If you check your state records you will find these fish get pretty substantial (by aquarium standards)
Dave

watcher

AC Members
Nov 5, 2003
PA
I have a rock bass and pumpkinseed in one of my tanks. They're great fish with a lot of personality, but both of them are pretty agressive. Right now the two get along pretty well-the rock bass gets a worm, and the pumpkinseed steals part of it right out of his mouth. This has gone on for over a year without the rock bass blowing his stack, but I can't imagine it going on forever. They're definitely messy, as well...if it weren't for the personality, I would have stuck with all tropicals.

Aquatick

AC Members
Jul 21, 2004
Tampa, Florida
Visit site
I've been able to keep bluegill without any problems. I kept them with flagfish, sailfin mollies, bass and an assortment of other fish I caught with a cast net. Once the bluegill are big enough I found that they can really display some nice colors if you mimmic their natural habitat. Feeding them pellets seemed to keep them from making too much of a mess. If you use flake food they shoot it all over the tank. Just take your time when feeding them and you should be fine.

Fedorov

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
milw, wi
Visit site
wow losts of input thank you all .
I already see some aggression , the smallest of the 4 was attacking a large (3 times its size) red columbian tetra for the pellet it was eating . it was funny to watch .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store