Bondo in FW?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boostnbuds

boostnbuds
Sep 21, 2007
Rhode Island
If I were to make my own background or rocks etc, could I use a stainless steel mesh for shaping and cover it in bondo to smooth? Then paint and seal it?

Scrufdog

Everyone's breeding but me.
Apr 12, 2009
Essex, MD
As long as its sealed with a good epoxy then there shouldnt be a problem. Just use the stuff everyone around here uses for DIY background stuff for sealing.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Nothing is toxic if sealed properly.

Scrufdog

Everyone's breeding but me.
Apr 12, 2009
Essex, MD

boostnbuds

boostnbuds
Sep 21, 2007
Rhode Island
lol thats sort of common sense really...I want to know if I manage to miss a spot with sealant is my tank going down?? I'd rather not risk it and find sumthing else to use if this is the case, bondo is just easily available to me.

what kind of sealant are you guys using anyways?

Zebulon

Allergic
May 9, 2007
At the Bottom, gilling rapidly.
If you fail to seal it properly, damage nick chip crack or otherwise compromise that epoxy coating, then i'd expect anything that can normally dissolve in water will go ahead and do so. If that occurred it'd probably wack your ph all up and down the street. On the other hand if you used the right stuff, applied it properly and got a good bond, then with normal use it'd probably last 'till you wanted to replace it.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
bondo dries like rock basically... I dont know how toxic it is but I know that it holds paint very well (as that is what its for)

it should work just fine... I would just either seal it with an epoxy

or paint over 5-6 coats of krylon fusion (aquarium safe)

boostnbuds

boostnbuds
Sep 21, 2007
Rhode Island
lol know ine has answered the question

Zebulon

Allergic
May 9, 2007
At the Bottom, gilling rapidly.
I'd say you have gotten perfectly sound advice so far. Your first post indicated that you intended to paint and seal the deco. Our advice was to do just that, and do it well, and there should be no problems. If you seal it carefully with many thin coats it should be basically impossible to "miss a spot".

Is bondo toxic? The MSDS contains toxicity information on the raw paste, fumes and on the dust created by sanding, but to ask what happens after it cures and is placed into potable water might be beyond the scope of this forum. The proprietary resin it's made out of is probably polyester, but the bulk is talc and metal powders. Since it is porous, I would expect it to slowly dissolve in the weak acid bath of a fish tank, and you might then get a toxic effect... does that make it toxic?

Just seal it. If it sinks, it'll work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store